Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snugbugs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2017, 07:40 AM
    A emergency restraining order
    Hi, I filed a emergency restraining order on my husband. I got him for verbal abuse and physical abuse, also with a gun, against my kids and I. I don't want to proceed with the restraining order, since its just a emergency one. If I don't show up for court will it be uplift it? He is seeking help.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 3, 2017, 09:19 AM
    Laws go by locale, and judges can make decisions without you. Plus, I won't touch this. Many a wife has taken off an R/O only to have the husband use the gun for real.
    Is it a handgun? Make him keep it in a locked gun safe high on a shelf, where the kids can't reach or open it. Those laws go by locale too. What if the court orders a home review to see if you are compliant?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2017, 01:26 PM
    IF you don't go, they court may keep it, If you don't want it, I would ask why you got it to start with? You now open the door for someone who threatens your child with a gun ? You open the door for a man who hurt you physically ?

I will be blunt, the best thing the courts could do is make it last, since you don't seem able to make a wise choice on your own.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 3, 2017, 01:57 PM
    Maybe you should think about showing up in court and keeping that restraining order until he has RECEIVED enough help to prove he WANTS to change. Was he also arrested?

I mean come on he has already threatened you and your kids with a GUN! Why can't that happen again?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a restraining order override my protective order in Texas? [ 5 Answers ]

I was granted a protective order a few months ago in Texas for family violence against my husband. Now he has gotten a lawyer and I was served with a temp restraining order against me claiming to be unfit and is asking for full custody of my children. I already have full custody of them and now I...

Child protective order (restraining order) [ 3 Answers ]

My brother in law wants to get a child protective order or restraining order against me for my niece. He doesn't want me around her anymore. About three years ago I went into treatment for addiction and was clean for over two year and then I relapsed for 6 weeks. Ever since then I've been really...

What's the difference between a restraining order and a violent restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend is stalking me and used to beat me up and keep me away from my friends, he's threatening to further what's already occurred, I'm pretty scared, and the police know of certain occasions, but I am unsure which to take out, I don't want him to like, never be able to get a job again...

What's the difference between a restraining order and a behavioral order [ 9 Answers ]

If I have a restraining order now and want it changed to a behavioral order, what's the difference between the two

Can I get a restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband talks to his exwife every few weeks, just a civil "hey how ya doing" kind of thing. I have no problem with this, as we all grew up going to the sames schools etc. His exwife is in a relationship... the relationship that ended her marriage to my husband (she cheated on him and is still...

View more questions Search