Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristina12785 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Is there a way to find out if my taxes are really going to be garnished?
    I received a request and writ for garnishment of my taxes from the courts a couple of months ago. I owe a bank $712.00 and a year and a half ago the sued me, we worked out a payment arangment but I just couldn't afford to follow through on it. In October of this past year they filed for a request of garnishment of my taxes through the court house, I received a copy of that request, but I have not received any other paper work on it. Does the fact that they filed a request mean they get my taxes for sure or is it just a request? I would think someone would send me something saying for sure they are going to be garnished or am I wrong in thinking that? Is there somewhere I can go, maybe a web site or something where I can find out for sure if my taxes are going to be garnished?
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 25, 2007, 09:22 PM
    They usually need to go to court for a judgement to garnish taxes or wages. In which case you can go to court and plead you case. The court can set up a reasonable payment plan that would offset the garnishment. You should receive court papers for a hearing or check your court county's web site to see it a hearing is scheduled. If there is and you don't show up, thers an 88% chance the court will find in favor of the bank.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Jan 25, 2007, 10:02 PM
    You can call the IRS Offset, its tollfree. It will basically let you know whether your income tax will be garnished.

(800) 829-1040
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Jan 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I must add that you are very fortunate to have gotten notification of the possible offset, I had incurred a small debt (of about 900 dollars) and they garnished my income tax for 3 years in a row to collect what I owed plus the interest.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
    All advice is correct to the best of my knowledge.

I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnished Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - My bank account was recently garnished as an attempt to collect on a Judgement against me. The amount of the Judgement is more than what the balance of my bank account was. The current balance of my bank account shows as negative in the amount of what is owed for the judgement. If I...

Bank funds garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I just learned that my accounts have been garnished because of a student loan issued by the school not PHEAA has not been paid. How do I get them to remove the levy? Do I make a payment arrangement and the accounts are unfrozen? How does this work?? :eek:

Wages Garnished [ 3 Answers ]

Who Much Or Want Percent Can The IRS Take From My Wages

Account Garnished, Possible Lien, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

In March of 2003 I stopped paying 3 of my credit cards while I lived in FL. Now, World Assett Mgmt, a debt purchaser, and one of the worst, has placed a jugdement against me, filed for contempt of court, and has garnished my bank account. (I know I should have shown up for the court hearings, but I...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search