Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michele292 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Have judgment... now how do I get the money?
    I won 2 judgments in small claims court against the same person; each for around $11,000. Now how do I get the money? I put a lien on the deadbeat's property but that is all I know to do. I don't have his social security number, nor do I know where he works. Obviously, he's switched his phone, etc. It's been 2 years and I would like to be more aggressive in trying to get my money. Thank you!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Here's a bit more aggressive for ya: Stake him out to find out where he works - so you can get a wage garnishment.

... just a thought...
    beautifuldiva Posts: 79, Reputation: 8

Oct 9, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Hmm I'm sort of curious to this as well.. Can't she go back to the judge and show he has not paid and have him arrested?
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
    No... at least not in the US. Most countries do not treat being a deadbeat as a criminal issue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifuldiva
    Hmm I'm sort of curious to this as well.. Can't she go back to the judge and show he has not paid and have him arrested?
    No. This is the Catch 22 of judgements. All a court does is award the judgement. It does not collect on it. The winner has to then collect on the judgement themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele292
    I won 2 judgments in small claims court against the same person; each for around $11,000. ...I would like to be more aggressive in trying to get my money. Thank you!
    Hire a collection firm. Though they will generally take a hefty cut of what you collect, or you wait until he sells the property. If you want to try and do this yourself, if you know where he lives (assuming the property was his home), then stake out the home one day (if he knows your car, rent one for the day). Make note of whatever car he drives (make, model, license plate). Follow to see where he works. Maybe do this on a Friday so you can hopefully find where he banks.

Then go back to the court or a local Sheriff or Marshal (they are usually responsible for collecting on judgements). And file the paperwork to repo the car, garnish the bank accounts and salary, etc.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 09:49 AM
    You might check with a local clerk of courts to see if knowing where he banks is good enough to attach a bank account. It may be that you'd need the account number to effect an attachment of it.

The employer should be the easy one to get - and once you learn it, a wage garnishment is just a matter of filing a bit of paperwork at the courthouse.
    Michele292 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Thank you both so much. I will pursue this!

Oct 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Oooh OK.. well I was just thinking that it might be possible.. I LOVE judge Millian... lol and I watch it all the time.. but I was watching a case over unpaid child support... that could be the reason she said he would have to go to jail... Because she said that all she would have to do is go back to the court house and let them know.. he would be taken into custody... But I see how there is a difference between this and unpaid child support.. lol

OK lol this was driving me nuts so I looked it up! Lol And I knew you guys were right, but I just wanted to see if there was ANYTHING she could do and I found this

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/civ05.htm

This says everything Rick and Scott were saying but in like full detail
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 9, 2006, 11:10 AM
    You need to know his bank account number and he is not obilgated to give it to you... place a lien on everything he owes... that includes and vehicle... get the plate number... ask to court for help...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2006, 12:04 PM
    There are companies that buy judgment, if you are interested in selling them. Type search in Google, " we buy judgemnts" there are many.

Just a thought if you don't want to chase him down.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
    oooh ok.. well I was just thinking that it might be possible.. I LOVE judge Millian... .. but I was watching a case over unpaid child support.... that could be the reason she said he would have to go to jail...
    Yes, the court can order jail for someone delinquent on child support. That's because the court ORDERED the support, its not a judgement for the plaintiff. So a person not paying child support is in contempt of court.

By the way, as I understand it, those people adjudicating before Judge Judy, Judge Millian and others usually get their judgements paid by the show. That's the advantage of doing it. But they also sign away their appeal rights. The judge's decision is final.

OK lol this was driving me nuts so i looked it up! lol And I knew you guys were right, but I just wanted to see if there was ANYTHING she could do and I found this

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/civ05.htm

This says everything Rick and Scott were saying but in like full detail
    That's a great find. Really lays it in easily understandable language.

Oct 9, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Ya.. it got me curious as well because I wanted to understand myself. It made it really simple and to the point

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacating a judgment [ 6 Answers ]

I received a subpoena in the mail from an attorney concerning a judgment entered against me on 4/13/92. It’s in the amount of $4,642.12 plus cost and interest leaving a total now of $7,253.30. I don’t remember how or if I got served in ’92. I moved from place to place back then and don’t remember...

AT&T Judgment - NY [ 5 Answers ]

I just received a letter in the mail that I owe AT&T $5,300.00 which was five years previous. Now I had relocated out of the State of New York for the past eight months and just returned. How much time would I have to dispute this judgment? Can they freeze my bank account or garnish my wages for...

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

View more questions Search