Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 08:27 AM
    PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem
    Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works.

My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? The Verizon techs assured me it would work on a home PC.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
    The first step is you'll need (most likely) a PCI to PC-Card adapter. Basically, an expansion card that you plug into your computer that gives your desktop a PC-Card slot. You can then plug the Aircard card into the PC-Card slot and continue to follow the directions as if it were a laptop. I'd recommend starting with Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and searching for "pci pc-card" and see which one meets your price range. You can expect to pay ~$30 for a basic adapter card that should meet your needs.

If you go the USB modem route, then you basically plug it in and go. I don't know anything about this particular product though, so I don't know if it uses their broadband wireless network or their 1XRTT network with slower, modem-style speeds.

Have fun!
    artdeskinc Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 4, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Go but a linksys 802.11b wireless adapter.
    The cost of these things is constantly going down.
    I've been using one nationwide, with both Microsoft OS's and Linux for years.
    The device is a USB connection device.

I would post a picture - but I cannot here. Ask...

Phil
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2007, 04:46 AM
    I've also seen routers that accept such a broadband card instead of using a broadband modem.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jul 5, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeskinc
    Go but a linksys 802.11b wireless adapter.
    The cost of these things is constantly going down.
    I've been using one nationwide, with both Microsoft OS's and Linux for years.
    The device is a USB connection device.

I would post a picture - but I cannot here. Ask...

Phil
    Phil,

The original question was about a Verizon Wireless Broadband card that works with their cellular network as a cellular-based modem. An 802.11 card will not work with this. So, no matter how cheap they are, they are useless for connecting to a cellular network.
    mouse-chaser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I am using the Verizon USB modem. It was very easy to setup and use.
    The only major change I made was to change my smtp to verizon mail.
    Once set up you can use it on any computer desktop or laptop

I believe you said you were looking for a less expensive way to connect.
    That I do not believe would be the Verizon USB modem the monthly charge
    Is $59.99for existing verizon voice users. Also there is a one or two year contract.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse and have 2 problems: 1. The mouse keeps freezing, I have used the signal connect buttons with some luck and it Will work great for a while before freezing again. A neighbor suggested that CB Radios From nearby truck stop may...

What about wireless? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok,Just got a pavilion dv2125nr entertainemnt notenook PC, what does it take to make it wireless, I only have dial up right now. But if I want to take it on a job site with no phone, :confused: or electrical, how do I use it?? I heard buying a wireless card is the answer, but I don't quite know...

Wireless [ 2 Answers ]

My dell latitude laptop works perfectly everywhere but in my home... I recently had comcast high speed internet installed. I can access the internet through cable... but my wirelss connections shows little or no connectivity and when I try to effect a repair it fails because it can't "renew my ip...

View more questions Search