Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spaceybez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
    No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt
    I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Having no father listed on the birth certificate shouldn't stop an adoption in this case, since you as biological mother, retains custody.

If the biological father were to show up, he could still claim parental rights.

Aug 22, 2006, 05:32 AM
    You probably cannot stop the biological father from exercising some parental rights if he wants them. Unless he can be proven to be an unfit father, he does have rights. Even more so if he pays child support.

He could stop the adoption if he learns about it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Is this a natural-born child? If so, then you must have some idea as to who the father is. Contact all potential "candidates" and see if they'll submit to DNA tests. Once you've determined who the father is, you can get his consent (if he's willing to give it) for your husband to adopt the child. On the other hand, if this is an adopted child then the father must have already given consent for you to adopt, in which case getting your husband to adopt would be nothing more than filing the necessary paperwork. However, if you keep the father's status unknown, then there is not much chance that any judge would approve an adoption unless there is overwhelming evidence that the father has fled or is deceased.
    KISSROMEO2 Posts: 33, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Is this a natural-born child? If so, then you must have some idea as to who the father is. Contact all potential "candidates" and see if they'll submit to DNA tests. Once you've determined who the father is, you can get his consent (if he's willing to give it) for your husband to adopt the child. On the other hand, if this is an adopted child then the father must have already given consent for you to adopt, in which case getting your husband to adopt would be nothing more than filing the necessary paperwork. However, if you keep the father's status unknown, then there is not much chance that any judge would approve an adoption unless there is overwhelming evidence that the father has fled or is deceased.
    Same kind of question: What would be the point of bringing it to the attention of the biological father that their child is ready to be adopted by another daddy? Personally, my child's father wants a DNA test and then if he knew I was going to have my fiancé adopt her, he would never sign over but guaranteed wouldn't see her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
    The fact no father is listed on the birth certificate just means you did not list someone. There has to be a father somewhere and you should have some idea within a few men who it is.

So normally they will want dna tests and having the proper person notified if possible.

If not, even if the court allowed the adoption, the actual father can come into the picture years latter and contest the adoption.

There have been cases where the mother lied,a and said she did not know where the father was, and they did the posting in the news papers to "notify the father) but it was latter proved the mother lied, and the adoption was overturned since it was based on a fraud.

Many fathers don't know, they are the father, so they have no chance to act, others just don't, but in any case, to adopt the child, it can not happen unless there has been proper notification.

Remember a mother and father have equal "legal" rights, esp if there is no child custody agreement, so a father can come and get their son as easy as the mother can, ( something women often forget )

Dec 4, 2006, 09:16 AM
    On the same token, Fr_Chuck, if someone contested, was found to be the father, pays child support, but did not ask for visitation - they have to go back through the courts to get visitation, correct? My eldest daughter's father lives in Maryland, pays over $700 a month, yet never met her and denies her although a paternity test proves he is her father. He can't just "show up" and try to take her, can he?
    Also, technically, I thought that if there is no father's name on the birth certificate, no man can just "show up" and take the child, unless a paternity test was established to prove he is the father and follow through with child support if desired.

Dec 4, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSROMEO2
    He can't just "show up" and try to take her, can he?
    Also, technically, I thought that if there is no father's name on the birth certificate, no man can just "show up" and take the child, unless a paternity test was established to prove he is the father and follow through with child support if desired.
    No he can't just "take her", that would be kidnapping. You have legal custody at this point. What he CAN do is file for visitation and/or custody. Whether that will be granted or not depends on several factors.

Also, no one can show up and take a child from the custodial parent. Whether they are on the birth certificate or not. That would also be kidnapping. They would, again, have to file for custody. If they are not listed on the BC, then they would have to submit proof of parentage.

Dec 4, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    No he can't just "take her", that would be kidnapping. You have legal custody at this point. What he CAN do is file for visitation and/or custody. Whether that will be granted or not depends on several factors.

Also, no one can show up and take a child from the custodial parent. Whether they are on the birth certificate or not. That would also be kidnapping. They would, again, have to file for custody. If they are not listed on the BC, then they would have to submit proof of parentage.
    Point Taken.
    So, question being, if no father is listed on the because, why is it that the biological father is required to show to relinquish his parenting rights and therefore allowing someone else to adopt the child? If no name is on the birth certificate, then why does it matter?:( Like you said above, it is kidnapping if someone who isn't on the birth certificate, so why would it matter whether that damn person is there or not?
    I know it's true, it just pi$$es :mad: me off. I have a feeling if I want my fiancé to adopt my daughter, who does not know her sperm donor at all and I do not receive child support from, he will show up and say he does not want her to be adopted.
    Then what?:confused:

Dec 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSROMEO2
    So, question being, if no father is listed on the bc, why is it that the biological father is required to show to relinquish his parenting rights and therefore allowing someone else to adopt the child? If no name is on the birth certificate, then why does it matter?
    Because the biological parent has rights. The bio parent can voluntarily relinquish those rights, but they can't be taken away without their permission. So, even if only one parent is listed on the BC, there is still (obviously) two parents (except in a case of artificial insemination). If the other parent was not made aware of the child and later finds out about it, they have parental rights.

Even if a step parent adopts the child, if the biologocal parent shows up the adoption can be overturned.

Dec 4, 2006, 09:57 AM
    Because the biological parent has rights. The bio parent can voluntarily relinquish those rights, but they can't be taken away without their permission. So, even if only one parent is listed on the BC, there is still (obviously) two parents (except in a case of artificial insemination). If the other parent was not made aware of the child and later finds out about it, they have parental rights.

Even if a step parent adopts the child, if the biologocal parent shows up the adoption can be overturned.
    That's screwed up. I thought domestics was supposed to NOT ruin children's lives and do what's best for them?? Obviously if the father doesn't care to whether the child is being adopted, they must not care enough to be a real father. Grrr! Stupid law system.
    And if the parent voluntarily reliquishes his rights, then it can't be overturned, right?

Dec 4, 2006, 10:05 AM
    What's screwed up? That the bio parent can't have his rights taken away? And what do "domestics" have to do with anything?

But, if the bio parent voluntarily relinquishes their rights, that's generally irrevocable.

Dec 4, 2006, 10:39 AM
    What's screwed up? That the bio parent can't have his rights taken away? And what do "domestics" have to do with anything?

But, if the bio parent voluntarily relinquishes their rights, that's generally irrevocable.
    No, no. I meant it's screwed up that a dude who has essentially screwed up a child's life by not being a parent also has the decision as to whether he wants to screw up his/her life AGAIN by deciding whether the child can be adopted by another person who IS willing to be a father...

Domestic Relations are the people who I go through when it comes to child support and custody.

Dec 4, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Well now, there seem to be at least two parties involved in screwing up the child's life. This is the main reason for societal taboos against extra-marital sex. So that children are not bought into the world by people unable and/or unwilling to care for them.

There are also two sides to the story. For every father who has turned his back on his child, there may be another father who knew nothing about the child and would have stood up to care for them if they had known.

Dec 4, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Well now, there seem to be at least two parties involved in screwing up the child's life. This is the main reason for societal taboos against extra-marital sex. So that children are not bought into the world by people unable and/or unwilling to care for them.

There are also two sides to the story. For every father who has turned his back on his child, there may be another father who knew nothing about the child and would have stood up to care for them if they had known.
    Back to my situation, what if the father shows no interest, straight up denies the child, doesn't want to pay child support, and refuses to see the child. I would think allowing my fiancé to adopt my daughter would make him pi$$ed that I found someone to make me happy (although it makes me sound selfish - which I'm not - it's a reality) and therefore, refuse to allow her to be signed over.
    Problem is, you'd think that would just cause for him to pay child support - but child support is not what I want nor need (well that's a lie - but to deal with him, I'd rather not get his money) but rather him to be off the back of my mind and not risk him coming in and out of my daughter's life.
    I'm talking about my youngest daughter here, who was with me when I was pregnant, then he took off, then when she was like 6 months old, he said he wanted to take care of her and be a part of her life, until he took off again... he saw her for a little bit after she turned one... and that was it... Now, he denies he has a daughter all together...
    I mean, seriously? I wish there was a way to just pick him up and out permanently of my daughter's life.
    He really IS no good for her. All he EVER came around for was a relationship with me and/or booty... which I fell for at the beginning until I realised what he was really about...
    I mean... it sucks that someone who actually sucks as a parent... wants nothing to do with her.. and then have to BEG him to permission for someone else to adopt her... I mean, this is ridiculous.
    BY THE WAY, since you know so much ~ if I go for him to adopt her, would her sperm donor be brought in for a hearing (obviously).. but if he doesn't show up or we can't find him (as he jumps from friend's house to friend's house.. but I'm not even sure of that because he's a pathological liar)... So...
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I agree there has to be due dilligence in locating the other party to inform him that this action is going on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt my wife's child no father on birthcertificate [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married since Sep 2000 and were living togeather in March of the same year. She has 2 children by two different fathers. The oldest one's father is in the picture and active in her life. The youngest 8 yrs old now, has never seen her birth father and has lived with me since...

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

Replacement Australian birth certificate? [ 2 Answers ]

Please, please can someone help me? :confused: My 15 yr old daughter needs a copy of her birth certificate. She was born in Australia but has resided in the UK since she was 4 mnths old. She now desperately needs a copy of her Australian Birth certificate to open a bank account for her wages...

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search