Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BerBer89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
    My roommate is PSYCHO! I need out!
    So me and my 2 best friends moved in with their older sister about 4 months ago and were on a one year lease. Soon after we moved in together we figured out that she is IMPOSSIBLE to live with. I won't get into details but we pretty much hate her and we want to get out ASAP. We went and talked to our landlord about anything we could do and she gave us 2 options:

1. We could all sign a tenant release form which would allow the 3 of us to move out and their sister keep the apartment.

OR

2. We could break our lease which would consist of paying a fee of 1500 dollars and all of us moving out.

Well here's the problem with option 1:
    Their sister doesn't make enough to keep the apartment on her own so she wouldn't even be approved to keep it.

Problem with option 2:
    Their sister is absolutely ridiculous and refuses to move anywhere else or sign paperwork allowing all of us to move out.

We NEED to get out of here. If we don't, it will lead to eviction and we would like to avoid that if we can. Is there any other way we could break our lease?

Thank You :D
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
    I think it's important to worry about yourself before someone else, especially if this someone else is the reason why you can't stay here.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BerBer89
    Is there any other way we could break our lease?
    Hello Ber:

Not really.

I would take option #2. I know you don't think you have any control over the situation, but you have more than you think. Unless the sister has NO credit to be ruined, then you can just tell her that you're taking that option, and moving. She'll either go along with you, or her credit will be ruined along with yours.

Maybe she's THAT psycho, or maybe she's not. However, YOU have nothing more to lose by taking that position, and everything to gain. Besides, I don't see ANY other choice.

If she doesn't pay her share, then you pay it and sue her.

excon
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Nov 14, 2007, 06:58 AM
    If you leave as described in option #2 and the sister refuses to leave, she can take you to court and sue for the remaining term of the lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Well some of this depends on the landlord and how the lease is worded. If you are all signed on the lease, then you probably have to act in concert. If the sis won't cooperate, I would go back to the landlord and make a counter offer. Tell the landlord the three of you agree to pay the $1500 buyout but the sister won't. So you will pay the buyout and leave. If the sister still insists on staying, you will reimburse the landlord for any costs for evicting her.

The sister is then faced with a few choices. Either she moves too (paying the $1500), she pays for the apartment herself, she gets new roommates to replace you three or she gets evicted. I do not believe she can sue you for moving out on her.

Faced with those choices she may decide to move. But it will no longer be your concern.

If you do this (accept the buyout offer) make sure you get it writing that the landlord has agreed to terminate the lease and you are no longer responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a psycho ? [ 12 Answers ]

Well I think many of you will hate me :( I'm 31y , married to a very very nice person who loves me more than any one or any thing but I cheated him .I knew someone else and to be honest some times I can't be sure I love him any way we are in this relation for more than 7 years now . I love my...

Kitten is psycho! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my kitten is now 12 weeks old and its an absoloute nut job. Anything that moves, she is on it, her mother jinx is scared to death of her and tries to reach the highest place she can as soon as the kitten comes near her,lol. She has a habit of jumping up the walls to rip off the wallpaper she...

Psycho Kinesis [ 5 Answers ]

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.:p

Am I psycho? [ 1 Answers ]

I have confersations with people in my head that are not really. I then have trouble interracting with these people because of the conversations in my head that are not real. Is this normal? How can I control my feelings so that I don't over analize these things that are not real to begin with?

Roommate Harrassment/Nightmare roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living with my roommate for over 4 months now in a 2 bedroom apartment in western PA. We both signed a 1 year lease with the landlord. Little did I realize I signed a lease with a nightmare of a roommate. She throws parties 3+ nights a week, her friends smoke in the building (no smoking...

View more questions Search