Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigerfly222 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Water leak around bottom of toilet
    Hello,

Every once in a while, when I flush my toilet, water slowly leaks from the bottom of the toilet out onto the floor. It does not happen every flush. Sometimes it's only a little bit of water, sometimes it's more. What is causing this, and is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Sep 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
    There is a wax ring under the toilet. It sounds like it has worn away, and now leaks. You will have to pull the toilet off the bolts, and install a new one.

XenoSapien
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
    In addition to a faulty wax ring if you had a partial blockage in the toilet drain line the water could back up past the wax seal. Since the wax seal's designed to seal against water leaving the bowl and not against water backing up past it then it would also give you the situation that you describe. Regards, Tom
    rebjohn5547 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 07:25 AM
    How do you clear a partial blockage in the toilet drain line so the water won't back up past the wax seal.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rebjohn5547 View Post
    How do you clear a partial blockage in the toilet drain line so the water won't back up past the wax seal.
    Rent a sewer snake. Then when you pull the toilet to replace the wax seal you can snake the drain line, Good luck, n bTom
    rebjohn5547 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Thank you. Can I put a snake down the shower and not pull the toilet? The toilet only leaks when it is flushed a few times in a row. It hasn't leaked for a month until company came...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet is gushing out water at bottom and into tub. [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Our toilet is gushing out water at bottom and at the same time the tub is filling up with water. We turned off value for toilet and doesn't seem to stop the water from coming out. Toilet is not flushing only filling up, that's when the problem begins.

Leak from bottom of pressure-assist toilet tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a one piece Kohler pressure-assist toilet that is about 14 years old. Recently it started to leak from the bottom of the porcelain tank. It appears to be dripping from a metal bolt in that area. I imagine the pressurized tank or a fitting is leaking but I can't see that area when I remove...

Toilet is leaking from the bottom [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaky toilet, the water is coming from the bottom of the toilet. I removed the toilet, replaced the wax ring, put the toilet back, and within a day or two it began to leak only when you would flush. One side note it is mounted on top of the tile should it be mounted at floor level? Is this...

Bottom of bathtub leak [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys. While me and my wife were laying in bed we heard a kind of hissing noise. I looked and listened at the tub, and it was coming from underneat the tub. I shut the water off to my home (I live in a trailor) and ran the water out of the bathroom faucet, and the noise went away. So I opened...

Water leak at floor near toilet mounting bolts [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed occasional water seepage on floor near one of the mounting bolts. I assumed it was a faulty wax seal, so, we removed the toilet bowl, and replaced the seal. We thought the matter was resolved, but, then we observed that especially when there is weight on the toilet, water gushes from...

View more questions Search