Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stefannsgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Toilet backing up into tub and tub bubbles in toilet
    We have a 30 year old septic system that started acting up after we had it pumped the last time.

The drains in the rest of the house work, but the toilet and tub do not. When we flush the toilet, it backs up into the tub and when we run water in the tub, it forces air into the toilet and makes it bubble. The water will eventually drain out of the tub but as soon as you try to run water in the tub or flush the toilet, it backs up again.

The kitchen sink drain and the bathroom sink drain run slow but they do run.

We have used Liquid Fire on all of the drains so I don't think it is a clog.

My question is:
    Could the vent that runs to the roof be clogged with something? And how easy is it to clean out the vent. The vent pipe was installed when the house was built over 50 years ago. It comes goes up between walls from the basement and comes out of the roof and sticks out about 3 ft from the roof. There is no type of cover on it that we can see and Chinese Elm tree hangs over that portion of the roof.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Could the vent that runs to the roof be clogged with something?
    A blocked vent will not cause a backup. A clog does that. Have you opened up the house clean out and flushed a toilet or cycled the washer to see if the line fills up?
    If not then let's try to localize the problem. Before we can go much farther we have to eliminate the septic tank. Do it and get back to me with the results. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the downstairs bathroom, little bubbles come up as the water is going down, is this normal? Also the upstairs bathroom has a stench to it at times, not all of the time. We are on septic. Any assistance would be great!:)

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Toilet Bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet belches air once in awhile. It seems to be while our clothes washer is running. The toilet drains fine. They are on the same level of the house. Thanks

Bubbles in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean to have bubbles appear in the upstairs toilet when I flush? I've never had a problem with it (no overflow or slow flow), and the main sewer line out from the house was recently reamed with a snake. Am I in imminent danger of a sewage backup? Or do I just need that line snaked out?...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search