Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    copen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2018, 12:41 PM
    2001 Subaru Forester Automatic
    I need to remove the oil pan and was wondering if I'll need to lift the engine off the mounts. Is there anything else I might need to know to avoid aggravation.
    Thank you, copen.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 5, 2018, 03:06 PM
    Here are some helpful videos to check out BEFORE you get aggravated, starting with this one. I use auto play, but there are more videos if you scroll down.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...18F8&FORM=VIRE

The short answer is the motor mount bolts have to be loosened/removed to jack the engine up about an inch or so.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 6, 2018, 03:37 PM
    To truly avoid aggravation: hire someone else to do it. So much easier. Seriously, if this kind of word isn't your every-day thing, it can unravel quickly.
    copen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 PM
    OK, thanks guys. I worked in a VW/Subaru shop for about 3 1/2 years in the mid to late 70's, got ASE certified in engine repair and tune-up and then, 11 to 12 years at the local Honda dealership. The thing is, back then there were nice flat concrete floors and electric lifts. Now, it's a gravel horseshoe driveway and a hydraulic jack with jack stands.
    My suspicion is, I have a cracked oil pickup tube which would be easy enough to repair or replace. I just wasn't sure how much trouble it would be to get to.
    Again, thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 subaru legacy gt automatic idles high at times and low at times. [ 1 Answers ]

1997 legacy gt will idle high and take off like a rocket and at times idle low and be very sluggish taking off. Any suggestions?

Can a 2009 Subaru Forester front Headrest be exchanged for a 2007 headrest? [ 0 Answers ]

Will they fit and secure properly into place in the front seats?

Keys stuck in ignition and battery is dead for my Subaru Forester [ 5 Answers ]

I'm from California, and I drive a 2002 Subaru Forester. Today I was getting out of my car when I realized that I left the window open. I put the keys back in to close the window, then got distracted by my friends and stupidly left the keys in the ignition in on. I came back around 2 hours...

2002 Subaru Forester: Key is stuck in the ignition [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am very new to this site and have found it to be super informative. Hopefully I'll be able to get some help from the users on here. We just bought our 2002 Subaru Forester less than a month ago. Last night, I drove home, put the car in park, turned the car off and tried to remove my...

View more questions Search