Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbhutch88 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Psychology
    I am going to college next fall, and I am thinking abou majoring in psychology. I am having trouble finding fields of work, and careers that go along with this major. Could anyone help me out?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 03:32 PM
    College counselor
    I would say a talk you're your advisor or college councselor could be a good place to start.

Next the following web site has info on various jobs. From school councelors, mental health workers, and so much more check out.

http://www.apa.org/students/brochure/brochurenew.pdf

Jan 17, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Ikibah Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 06:10 AM
    Here's what I can give you in a nutshell:

With a bachelors alone there is not much you can do, but after completion there a few routes you can take. For one you can go for your PHD or PSYD and counceling. Another option if you want to do counseling is going to a MSW, or MFT program. These all differ greatly so make sure to do a lot of research!

Apr 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Thanks for your help, I completely forgot that I posted this. Now, 7 years later I am pursuing my PhD in Cognitive Psychology/ Cognitive Neuroscience, and focusing on research. Just an example of another possible route if other people have the same question.
    Ikibah Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 08:42 AM
    That is hilarious, I didn't notice how long ago this was. Maybe you can help me now I've been thinking about a Psyd or PHD program but I am really horrible at math and the statistics and research scare me, Is this a valid fear? Please be honest and not just motivational i.e if you try you can do anything etc.If so, I can always go for my lcsw and do therapy that way.

Thanks a lot.

Apr 16, 2013, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikibah View Post
    That is hilarious, I didn't notice how long ago this was. Maybe you can help me now I've been thinking about a Psyd or PHD program but I am really horrible at math and the statistics and research scare me, Is this a valid fear? Please be honest and not just motivational i.e if you try you can do anything etc.If so, I can always go for my lcsw and do therapy that way.

Thanks a lot.
    Haha strange turn of events. It's hard to say really. Since I don't do clinical work it's hard for me to say how those programs work, but we do have a Clinical PhD program here where I go to school that we are very involved with. I do know that the amount of stats and research that is going on in their program is highly variable. Their level of research depends on who their advisor is, and how motivated they are to do research outside of their Clinical obligations.

I would recommend looking closer at the research of the advisors' that you might be interested in working with. You will be able to get a sense of how involved the statistics that they use will be.

Overall though, any program you enter will have statistics courses and you will have many resources to help with stats and research. I don't think they should be something to be scared of but something that just take time to learn. I wouldn't expect for any early PhD students to be forced into research that they aren't ready for. This type of field is set up as more of an apprenticeship than anything else, so if your goals are to get into the field of Clinical Psychology I would urge you not to be scared of stats and research. These are skills that will come over time, and with help from many available resources.

If you have any other questions I'm more than willing to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychology [ 4 Answers ]

What is the nature of consciousness? When not fully conscious, what behavious or mental activities (such as perception, learning) may occur unchanged? What activities occur but function differently? What activities cease?

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

What is the scope of abnormal psychology?

Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

Why study psychology?

Abnormal psychology [ 1 Answers ]

What r the applications of abnormal psychology?

Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

What is the medical term for a person who has an unnatural attraction towards himself/herself?

View more questions Search