Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wildhare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Leak from first floor shower to outside foundation
    I just bought a new house and have a leak that needs to be fixed.

The leak is from the first floor stall shower. The house is on a slab and when I run the shower for a few minutes and walk outside to the exterior area by the shower, I see water running down the foundation. Since the house is on a slab, and my understanding is that there is no shower pan, how do I check/fix this thing?

Also:
    If I pull back the carpet in the master bedroom (against the shared shower wall), I see moinsture as well. It may not be the drain, it may be the tile walls.

Yikes!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2005, 08:41 AM
    Unless you bought the house as is, and were told about those problems, the seller is responsible it have things in working order. Try to work with the seller on it.
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 21, 2005, 11:58 PM
    Shower pan
    If you understand that there is no shower pan then that is why you have a leak. If you need a new pan it will be costly. Usually tile guys know someone who will work with them and do it for as reasonable as possible. Be sure you get a guarantee with the work. Have a plumber look at the drain and be sure you don't need a new one. You may. You may want to get more than one estimate. It used to be that all pans were made with the same material used on roofs, (hot tar) but a lot of people use viny these days, just be sure and get the guarantee. Good luck.
    Darrel
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2005, 07:36 PM
    Tom, you have missed this one too. If you can't lean on the seller to fix it, I would try repairing or sealing the grout in the walls. One thing you could try is to take a bucket of water and carefully pour it down the drain. No leaks meant the problems is in the walls, not the lack of a pan.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2005, 09:12 PM
    You should have a pan of some sort. How old is your house? What type of shower is it? All tile? Does it have a plastic base?

Check out http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php. They have a tile forum with lots of guys/information who/that can help you figure out what is wrong and what to do to fix or replace the shower.

If it makes you feel better I had the same problem in a house I moved into. Make sure to do your research on shower stalls so when you get it replaced you know what you need and don't get ripped off.

Post back with details

The

Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
    Check this... if you have a stall built follow these directions

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Leak [ 6 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain. I would like to remove the drain to replace or re-seal it. I do have access underneath since it is in a ranch. It looks like there is a large ring or nut screwed on from below to tighten up the drain and compress the gasket between the drain flange and the...

Shower leak [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new 2 story house. About 3 times that we've used our shower it has leaked by water coming out of a light in my kitchen (on the 1st floor). Every time a plumber comes out and looks they cannot find a leak. I am scared because of the electrical that the water is passing...

Leak from second floor shower [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen some posts on this subject but haven't been able to find a direct answer to my question so please excuse me if this information exists here already, but... I just moved into a new home and I have a leak coming form my second floor shower - a one piece fiberglass stall. Prior to...

First Floor Shower Tile Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Got My Shower Re-done And Its All Tile Top To Bottom. We Have Tile Floor. We Have A Leak Where The Tile From The Floor Meets The Tile Step To The Shower, I Looked And Saw A Hole In The Grout Where I Think It Is Coming From. We Don't Hear Any Constant Running Water Or Anything, Is It...

Leak at the basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I noticed that the iron pipe from my kitchen sink that runs down the basement wall is leaking right at the basement floor. The floor is tile over cement. I see what appears to be a little rust stain on the floor. I see a little hole just behind the pipe (not on the pipe) coming out of the...

View more questions Search