Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superljl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Opening a Word Attachment from Outlook
    When I open a Word attachment from an Outlook e-mail, it opens another instance of Word. (Two winword.exe's show in task manager processes, and when I close the [attachment] document, I'm told that normal.dot is already in use and can't be saved to its original location.)

Is there some way to make Outlook use the instance of Word that's already running?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Its probably not the best idea to open an attachment direct from e-mail. Better to save it then open in Word.

Nov 30, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Thanks, Scott, but that's not an option in my work environment. If it's viruses you're worried about, don't. We've got the latest and greatest scanner.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 02:37 PM
    The other instance of Word is Outlook using it as your editor.

Nov 30, 2006, 02:43 PM
    We recently upgraded to Office 2003. Our previous version didn't behave like this. Is this new?

I've got a few hundred people screaming at me that they don't want the tedium of going through the "save normal.dot" process every time they open/close a Word doc. From an e-mail. Any ideas?

Nov 30, 2006, 02:52 PM
    I'm curious as to why that isn't an option? Most network admins prtefer that attachments be downloaded then run.

Nov 30, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Too many steps for our babied users, I guess. Also, saving attachments only saves natively, not to our document management system, and that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Our users are not able, from Word, to get to a native File|Open, so that's yet another reason.

Nov 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Ok, Word uses something called MDS (Multiple document system), that opens multiple instances of Word. I would check for info about MDS to see if it can be modified.

Nov 30, 2006, 03:07 PM
    That was next on my list, Scott. Thanks.
    Dale F Wiley Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by superljl
    When I open a Word attachment from an Outlook e-mail, it opens another instance of Word. (Two winword.exe's show in task manager processes, and when I close the [attachment] document, I'm told that normal.dot is already in use and can't be saved to its original location.)

Is there some way to make Outlook use the instance of Word that's already running?

Thanks.
    Hi superljl,

Windows In Taskbar

Microsoft Office uses something called Single Document Interface and Multiple Document Interface.

You can toggle this feature on and off by selecting Tools + Options + View, and selecting or de-selecting the "Windows in Taskbar" option; and the option is switched off by default. (Word 2002 and higher)

From the Menu Bar select Tools, Options and the View Tab if not already selected.

Put a check mark in the box labeled Windows in Taskbar* under Show and click OK

* Displays a separate icon on the Microsoft Windows taskbar for each open window in your Microsoft Office program. Clearing this check box will display a single icon for your Office program on the Windows taskbar.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft Word is opening in safe mode only - Please help! [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: One of my computers has Microsoft Office 2003 when I try to open Microsoft Word it's giving me an error and it only opens in Safe Mode. I did the following troubleshooting but it still not working: 1. I deleted normal.dot 2. Reinstalled Microsoft Office 2003 I tried opening...

Opening e.mail attachments using outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am running Oulook Express with Home Windows XP I find that I am unable to open some if not all of received message attachments. A warning notice appears to tell me that they may be unsafe. Someone kindly suggested that by selecting FORWARD in the toolbar this problem is overcome. Sadly...

View more questions Search