Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hygienistiam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 09:23 PM
    Physics question... with answer, yet I don't know how to get the answer.
    In order to qualify for the finals in a racing event, a car must achieve an average speed of 270 Km/h on a track with a total length of 1410 m. If a particular car covers the first half of the track at an average speed of 232 km/h, what minimum average speed must it have in the second half of the event in order to qualify? The correct answer is 322.887 km/h.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 06:24 AM

This is a matter of applying the principles that v = d/t and t = v/d. The overall average speed is 1.41 Km/(Total_time), and Total_time is the sum of time for each of the two segments. Note that I convereted the distances to Km for consistency. The time needed for the first segment is 0.705/232, and the time needed for the second segment is 0.705/x, where x is the speed in question. So you have:

Now solve for x. Hope this helps.
    dshbjDSB11 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 11:50 PM
    Werido

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Answer for physics [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what electricity actually is? Is it flow of electrons or they just vibrate and pass on the enrgy and if its so what's the need of free electrons? And is the a surface phenomenon or a bulk one. Moreover I would like to know what actually constitutes and contributes for "Electrical...

Physics Computation and needs answer [ 3 Answers ]

1. A 0.40 kg iron horseshoe that is initially at 500 degrees Celsius is dropped into a bucket containing 20 kg of water at 22 degrees Celsius. What is the final equilibrium temperature? Neglect any energy transfer to or from the surrounding. 2. An aluminum cup contains 225 g of water and a 40 g...

Physics answer! [ 2 Answers ]

A board that is 1.5 m long is supported in two places. If the force exerted by the first support is 25N and the force exerted by the second is 62N, what is the mass of the board?

View more questions Search