Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topgun Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 03:56 PM
    H1B VISA holder, Wife on F1 without SSN
    Hi,

I am working on an H1B VISA in VA and got married in 2006. My wife is on a F1 student VISA in RI and does not have any earnings. I want to claim her as a dependent , but since she does not have a job, hence no SSN. What would be the procedure to follow in this case to claim her as a dependent. Is an ITIN number needed? If yes, then how to get it?
    We are both Indians by nationality.

Thanks !
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
    You CAN claim her as a dependent, and you will get the ITIN by filing a Form W-7 with your tax return.

However, a BETTER option is to file jointly and have you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2006. You get an additional $5,150 standard deduction that way.
    topgun Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Thanks a lot ! That is what I ended up doing :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Holder + Wife on F1(stipend) - Filing Status? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1B since Oct 2005 (resident alien) and my wife is on F1(non-resident alien) since Aug 2004. We got married last year in June 2006 and live in different states. My wife is into her masters degree program (2nd year) and she gets stipend from her school (teaching assistantship). She has got...

Taxes for h1b visa holder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I changed my status from j1 to h1b in december2006. I am in us from feb 2006 my wife who joined me on j2 visa in march changed her status to h4 in December 2006, and she has the social security number. I also moved from New York to Texas in December 2006, I want to know which forms would I...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

Have a few questions. I am an Indian who came to the US on F1 Visa in 2003 graduated in May 2005 and have been working since Oct 2005 on H1B Visa. Last year I filed 1040NR. Here are the questions: 1. Since in 2006 I was on H1B for the full year do I file as a resident i.e.. Use Form 1040? 2. I...

H1B Holder filing status - Wife & Kids never been to US [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a H1B holder in US from Jun 2006. My Wife and kids never been to US. What would be my filing status and can I claim Spouse Exemption. Thanks - SP

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search