Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    34angie91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2013, 10:22 PM
    Is mineral oil best to protect wood cutting boards?
    I just resanded & cleaned my wood cutting board. I'm told to oil it with mineral
    Oil or olive oil. However olive will become ransid, so is mineral oil the best
    Food safe oil to use?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Yes, it is saturated oil vs unsaturated and will not be affected by polymerization. All mineral oil is basically the same. The difference is the process and a food grade is done.by FDA methods. Go to the drugstore and ask for mineral oil. Commonly used as a laxative. Use sparingly.
    JohnZotti Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2013, 12:37 AM
    After some week spread coarse salt on board surface, take sliced lemon and rub there, Then wash with hot water. If your cutting boards are made from butcher block, once a month apply a small amount of mineral oil or beeswax, rubbing with a lint-free cloth in the direction of the wood grain. And you can also use Walnut oil, almond oil, and pure tung oil are good alternatives, but stay away from olive or vegetable oils, as they turn rancid quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protect oil in home heating oil tank [ 1 Answers ]

We recently installed a Pellet Furnace and will now only use our oil furnace as backup. How do we keep the oil fresh and the oil tank from getting mold, or mildew in the tank. I heard using Diesel treatment in the tank will work, is this correct ad will it work?

Best table saw blade for cutting hard wood [ 2 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 10" - 3 HP , I am cutting some rough cut oak . What is the best blade to use ?

Can clear plastic protect wood from sun [ 1 Answers ]

If a table sits in the direct sun, will a clear piece of plastic protect it or magniiy the sun?

How do I make and install concrete bumpers that protect inside oil storage tank [ 2 Answers ]

Taking out old inground oil tank. Installing one in garage, which by code, requires cement "bumpers" to protect from car hitting it. Is it easier to buy these, or if I make, how do I install in existing cement floor?

Oil burner cutting in and out [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wayne oil burner and I was wandering if any could tell me how to clean it without getting schocked, I watched the guy do it last time he was here he said it was easy but he did say to watch the transformer!

View more questions Search