Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgibson59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Income tax garnishment
    My fiancée has back child support ordered on him while he was incarserated and he owes ten thousand dollars and we have two children to take care of so I wanted to know how much of his income tax they can garnish or will they garnish it all?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
    If he owes back child support, then ALL of his tax refund will be confiscated each year until the child support is paid off.

You can file an Injured Spouse Allocation (Form 8379) to keep your part of the refund safe, plus any Earned Income Credit you may have coming due to the presence of the children, but the portion of the refund attributed to HIS salary will be taken to settle the back child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LexisNexis/Westlaw Rewards Merchandise Subject to Income Tax? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently a law student, and I am wondering if the Rewards Merchandise from LexisNexis and Westlaw is subject to income tax. Students can accumulate points by doing research, attending trainings, and answering quizzes (you can keep trying on the quiz until you get the answer right and still...

Income tax from foreign bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Power of Attorney over an account in Canada that belong to my dad who resides in UK. With all the recent FBAR fiasco I am trying to amend the FBAR reports before the June 2010 deadline. Before I even proceed I am trying to determine if I owe any taxes on interest just to qualify. We are...

Income Tax Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I'm getting a certain percentage of my check garnished, are my income taxes going to be garnished as well?

Income Tax Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm getting a certain percentage of my check garnished, are my income taxes going to be garnished as well?

View more questions Search