Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brezerk755 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Fraud under 5000$
    I'm not even sure if this is what I think it is.

Basically I'll just describe the situation.

I walked into my bank yesterday with a wish to deposit my paycheck.

I walk to the ABM machine and see a question on it *DO YOU NEED MORE TIME ?*

I clicked yes, it prompted me to a menu of a debit card.

I click Withdraw, 200$, then YES I'd like to do another transaction and withdraw 400$ more.

At this point it asks if I'd like to do anything else and I click NO. the card comes out I pick it up and leave the bank..

Now the question is , what should I do ? I've still 2 days until Monday to come back with the card and money and tell them that it was an honest mistake I thought it was my card and so on and on... or??

I don't have criminal record, no record at all actually... I'm 21... I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time basically...

It is my bank branch but I don't think anyone can recognize me by the picture except 1 person there...

I'm not charged and not even found yet... I didn't steal his card nor his password... I walked in the bank and all of it was already in the ABM machine..

What should I do and what am I looking into if I don't do anything and they DO find me ?

Please answer as soon as possible it is very very much appriciated as I have only 2 more days until Monday.

Thanks in Advance.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
    You take the card and the money back to the bank ASAP. Chances are this person, whose card was left in the ATM, has noticed it and is worried.

You did not actually steal his card or his password - but you used it. You knew it was not yours. So go and turn the card and money in. You know that ATMs have video surveillance cameras. They will be able to see it was you who used the ATM after the person who left his card in the machine.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brezerk755
    I'm not even sure if this is what I think it is.....

What should I do and what am I looking into if i dont do anything and they DO find me ?
    Hello Brez:

I'm not sure what this place is either, but they haven't thrown me out...

First off, they WILL find you. Next, I understand your temptation, and I don't blame you for succumbing to it. On the contrary, I commend you for asking about your situation BEFORE they bust you. Most of the time we get people who've BEEN busted and want to know what to do. YOU are way ahead of the pack on this one.

What's going to happen? I don't know. But, I can tell you this, if you do nothing, what will happen to you is going to be ten times worse than if you do something.

Here's the something you should do. Take the card and the money to the bank on Monday. Be waiting at the door when they open. Tell the manager what you told us. DO NOT try some BS story! Then, hope the manager doesn't (or didn't already) call the cops.

If the cops were called, the fact that you came back on your own volition may convince them not to charge you. If not, it certainly will help you upon sentencing.

excon

PS> I know that I've painted a pretty dark picture here, but in these instances, I've found that it's better to think the worst. Then, when the worst doesn't happen, you can be pleased. In my view, if the bank manager hasn't called the cops yet, when he hears how contrite you are, he won't.
    Brezerk755 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Well, I went to the bank on Monday and gave back the card and the money saying I confused the card in the atm with mine... The manager was very happy someone returned the money and the card and so on and forth..

The funny thing is, yesterday *thursday* I walk into the bank to deposit my paycheck again and guess what I see on the atm... *DO you need more time*?

Some guy forgot his card inside again with the pin# entered... I click yes... then click NO to *do you want to continue banking* get the card and go to the teller line... I see the manager I gave the first card to and tell her *Hey, I got another one*!! She recognized me... laughed for a while and said that guess I'm lucky or something...

2 cards in atm with pin# entered in less then a week... I must be lucky lol... 2nd time I didn't even think about taking money out, 1st card was enough to teach me a lesson lol.

Thanks a lot everyone for your input.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brezerk755
    2nd time i didn't even think about taking money out, 1st card was enough to teach me a lesson
    Good for you!

Doesn’t your conscious feel better now? Are you sleeping better?

:)
    sakpasey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 03:07 PM
    I referred a friend to some people who had a quick money scheme I declined them at first but when I mentioned it to my friend he wanted to do it on his own will knowing the consequences anyhow I got the guys to do what he wanted(cashing fraudalent cheques). He did now it came back as fraudalent(he used his name and info to cash it) he needs to pay and none of us can't get hold of those guys. He is going to tell them what happened and mention my name possibly bringing me down too. This would be first offence 23 years old what would I be looking at even thought I wasn't the person that cashed it I'm more of an accessory to it
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sakpasey View Post
    I refered a friend to some people who had a quick money scheme i declined them at first but when i mentioned it to my friend he wanted to do it on his own will knowing the consequences anyhow i got the guys to do what he wanted(cashing fraudalent cheques). He did now it came back as fraudalent(he used his name and info to cash it) he needs to pay and none of us can't get hold of those guys. He is going to tell them what happened and mention my name possibly bringing me down too. This would be first offence 23 years old what would i be looking at even thought i wasn't the person that cashed it im more of an accessory to it
    Hello sak:

Nobody can tell you what will happen. You might not be guilty of anything. Hire a lawyer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 x7 [ 23 Answers ]

About a month ago I was charged with theft under $5000 times 7 (cause I had items from 7 stores). The store the caught me called the police because I had items from other stores besides there's, and the police gave me a court date and a fingerprint date (I have already gone to get fingerprinted),...

Theft over $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering what the minimum sentence for theft over $5000 is. Thanks.

Theft Under 5000 [ 19 Answers ]

I am 21 yo and living in Ontario Canada. I have recently been arrested for theft. Here's what I did. I used to work at a pay day advance place, where they load up cards for the amount of money they are lending to you. I took a card for myself and loaded it from home($2000). Then...

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello 7 years ago I stole something and got caught... I was charged with theft under 5000 and I had to pay back the money, do community service and see a probation officer. I can't remember if this was a conviction or not, and whether I need a pardon... I was told by someone that I don't need a...

View more questions Search