Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jan 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Smoke / Fire Alarm in Kitchen
    Hi. One of the smartest things I did in my addition / remodel project was to install hardwired, interconnected smoke / CO detectors throughout the house. One of the dumbest things I did was put one in my kitchen. Naturally it goes off anytime the oven is used.

If I move the kitchen (1st floor) unit to another room I'll still have the junction box in the kitchen ceiling that would look silly with a cover plate on it. Can someone point me towards a model that will work in the kitchen without all the nuisance alarms? Or am I just stuck?

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Kitchen are not a good spot for smoke detector, heat would be OK.
    They do make a round white plastic cover that is screwless, and not unsightly.
    adamjones00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Kitchens are always tricky places for alarm systems.

Check out these alarms and fire suppression systems

;)
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 02:12 PM
    BigRed. Although I personally think it's a bad idea, they DO make smoke detectors (or at least used to) that had a button to turn off the alarm. I don't know if they reset themselves or it was done after a time, but I do know they exist(ed). Would this work for your application, and are you OK using a warning device that you could turn off?
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 13, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Yep.. kitchens are tricky!

You could replace it with a heat detector to prevent nuisance alsrms. Other alternatives are:

1. If it is a wall mounted unit, hang a picture or decorative plate over the coverplate, or make a tole painting if it suits your décor.

2. If it is not required by housing code, simply disconnect it but leave it in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alarm goes off but not because of smoke [ 6 Answers ]

the smoke detector alarm goes off but its not because of smoke. What could be the other probable reasons? Is condensation a probability? Is getting a central humidifier going to solve the problem? What would be a good route to take?

Smoke alarm [ 3 Answers ]

How come my hardwired smoke alarms are chirping?

99 degrees outside Smoke alarm went off today [ 7 Answers ]

I was finished taking a shower downstairs and my upstairs smoke alarm went off. It is located directly under the hatch that leads to the roof. I put the exhaust fan on in the bathroom, and nothing happened. It was 74 degreess in the house and about 99 degrees outside. When I opened the roof...

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm?

Smoke Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery. Thanks, Eric

View more questions Search