Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onnaroll Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Chronic PAIN!
    Hi, I've had chronic pain that begain in my arms and shoulders it was horrific pain. Later I had what felt like pressure in my lower right side back. Well this turned into stabbing ungodly pain that had me shaking it was soooooooo bad. I WAS BED RIDDEN FOR 2YRS with pain in my back that felt like I got shot. It was a burning inferno, I guess my question is should I have more test done, I've had almost every test except a ct scan? My doctor said its fibromyalgia and myofacial pain. But so fare I've never met anyone with this condition, that's effected them this way. Its truly been a chronic pain nightmare, there's a lot of symptoms but I can't list them all. I think I have a medical mistory. Can you give me any advice on what I should do? Thanks so much onnaroll
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 02:29 AM
    I am not sure where you live? Have you had a second or third doctors opinion? Also I would say others tests, ct scans if you want to have them you have that right to have them. The question is cost. If you have health care coverage? Some countries have complete coverage and others you have to pay. What other tests have doctors given you?

I think it is best for you to list some or the most important symptoms and it does sound like you have a lot so maybe it is fibromylagia as your doctor has stated. CT scans would be more exact in what could be causing the pain. Could it also be arthritis or disk generative. Hope you have asked for second opinions already.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 AM
    I agree with Joe, you need at least a second opinion. You should also have had a CT Scan, an MRI, AND a PET Scan, to rule out everything.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Have you asked to be referred to a rheumatologist AND a neurologist? There are dcotors who specialize in both fields - like you get two for one. My youngest son sees one for some of his medical problems. You should ask for the tests J_9 suggested. You have the right to know what is going on.

Feb 23, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Thanks all, I'm in Idaho and I've had alt of doctors check me, including a neurologist a rheumy and a pulmanoligist. They did a mri of my neck even though I was crying because of the back pain, I couldn't lay on it or drive without terrible pain. Its hard to say every test I've had right off hand. But here are a few full body bone scan , chest exrays mri of neck. I receive social security, so I do have coverage. I honestly feel this is some how lung related, because of all the sickness I've had, and because of the pain I exsperiance. I have asked for a ct scan and my doctor never felt it was necessary, but I really think I need one to get to the bottum of this. Should I get another doctor to do this? Or should I ask my doctor again for this test? Its been so hard to deal with I just don't know anymore. Thanks you all for your advice once again. My symptoms range from stabbing arm and shoulder pains, to burning backpian, feeling like all the muscles in my back are sick. Swollen lymphnodes. Weekness in both arms. Neck pain , fever, stabbing spasyms, my back pain has subsided now I get what feels like pencils stabbing me here and there, also some arm pain. Alt of rib cage pain, well that's some of what I've exspirenced.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Okay, so you have been through the gamut. Have you seen a hematologist? There may be something in your blood that can be detected.

I would definitely start shopping for another doctor if I were you.

Feb 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Thanks for your advice , and know I haven't seen that kind of doctor. I think all start looking today. I have had a lot of blood work done though. Thanks again roll
    peej Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 04:40 AM
    It sounds more like a problem with nerves or alignment problems. Have you ever had that electrical nerve test done on your shoulder or arms? Have you ever seen a chiropractor or been to a pain management doc or physical therapist?
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 6, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onnaroll
    Hi, ive had chronic pain that begain in my arms and shoulders it was horrific pain. later i had what felt like pressure in my lower right side back. well this turned into stabbing ungodly pain that had me shaking it was soooooooo bad. I WAS BED RIDDEN FOR 2YRS with pain in my back that felt like i got shot. it was a burning inferno, I guess my question is should i have more test done, ive had almost every test except a ct scan? My doctor said its fibromyalgia and myofacial pain. But so fare ive never met anyone with this condition, thats effected them this way. Its truely been a chronic pain nightmare, theres alot of symptoms but i can't list them all. I think i have a medical mistory. can you give me any advice on what i should do? thanks so much onnaroll
    He is right.. You have fibromayalgia!! My cousin has the same pain and takes pain medication a lot for it. From what I hear, there is not much you can do for it. Try going to a chiroparacter because my cousin said that was about the only thing that worked for her. Hope this helps!
    peej Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 05:01 AM
    I have fibromyalgia and I take pain meds, muscle relaxers, and an antidepressant. I have received great relief from moist heating pads, icy hot pain patches, chiropractor and massage. If you try massage you must talk with the person who is doing it about you pain tendor spots. The first time I had a massage it was done to firmly and my tendor spots were touched and I couldn't move for a couple of days after. Now I get them every two weeks and it is done much softer and she knows where she can NOT touch me! Good luck. Don't stop trying new things...
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 6, 2007, 05:16 AM
    I agree with the last reviewer.. My cousin has sone all of those for her fibromayalgia and I almost forgot about the acupuncture. She said chiropracter, acupunture and pin meds along with the anti depressents work great. I didn't understand about the anti depressents but she sais they take the pain away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic bronchitis and emphysema [ 2 Answers ]

My dad worked down the pit for 20 years and caught this disease,he has made a claim with the coal board and they have offered him £1.200 settlement,should he appeal or take the money.

Chronic Cough and AIDS [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know much about Aids, but I had some risky sex in mid-October I had a productive cough for about 2 weeks. But the initial onset lasted about 3 weeks before it went away entirely. I took an HIV test during the third week of this cough and the results came back negative. This was in...

Chronic Headaches [ 1 Answers ]

What do you suggest to help a teenager who has a headache all the time, she is 17 now and has had headaches since puberty. Some times they are severe and other days milder but they are ALWAYS there.

Chronic nightmares [ 24 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 8 years ago, after witnessing a shooting in my family. I used to have very dehabilitating symptoms and wasn't able to go to school or work, but after years of intensive treatments I've improved dramatically. However, I still have constant,...

Chronic Crushes [ 5 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a wonderful person for almost 4 years now. I love him dearly and would never jeopardize what we have. The most annoying thing is that I have found myself having crushes, the most recent of which has got me thinking about the relationship. This new crush is not a...

View more questions Search