Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
    Car Radio Reception
    My car radio looses reception when I pass under bridges. Also, I can hear quite audible "scratching" noise from my speakers every time I step on gas pedal. What is wrong ? How do I correct it ? Thanks for your help. Milo
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:28 PM

Have you checked your spark plug wires lately? They can cause static on a radio. Also if your listening to AM it can disappear when under bridges. FM can fade in and out depending on how the antenna is tuned.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:50 PM

Forgot to add: Yes, this happens only with AM stations. Radio sound is replaced with a loud crackling sounds while passing under bridges. FM appears to be fine.

No, I have not checked spark plug wires since - and up to now - I've had no idea which direction to go and where to look. Do you suggest replacing them ? Any specific brand to suggest ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:55 PM

I always recommend OEM spark plugs and wire sets. But anything that is insulated to help with the radio frequencies (resistor type) will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about car radio reception [ 3 Answers ]

Not sure if my question belongs here or not but here goes. I recently had a JVC stereo/cd player installed in my car. Prior to the install, the reception for the radio was great on FM/AM. But after the new radio was installed, I don't get most of the FM stations I once got and for the ones I...

Radio Reception Varies? [ 2 Answers ]

Does radio station reception with car radios really vary depending on radio brand or car? It certainly seems to with cars I´ve recently owned. What´s behind the apparently significant variation in signal reception with car and truck radios?

View more questions Search