Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldl512 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Employer does not pay garnishment
    An employer has withheld funds from the employee, but does not send in the full amount of the garnishment for a month. The employee had a hearing scheduled, but would have been vacated if the garnishment had been up-to-date. Employee had to go to court, hired an attorney. Company said their error, brought garnishment up-to-date, and paid for attorney, now they are taking money out of employee's pay check for attorney costs. Employee would never of had to go to court if garnishment would have been sent in (funds for garnishment were withheld). This is under Colorado Statutes. There was no agreement between employee and employer to take this money out of pay check.

Can an employer deduct money from pay check if there is no agreement or judgment. State of Colorado Statues.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 12:23 PM

What is your question
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 01:27 PM

Have they said why the money is being deducted?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 01:40 PM

Well they take out SS , fed and state taxes , medicare, etc... or are you talking about something else. Please give more detail so we can answer better
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ldl512 View Post
    An employer has withheld funds from the employee, but does not send in the full amount of the garnishment for a month. The employee had a hearing scheduled, but would of been vacated if the garnishment had been up-to-date. Employee had to go to court, hired an attorney. Company said their error, brought garnishment up-to-date, and paid for attorney, now they are taking money out of employee's pay check for attorney costs. Employee would never of had to go to court if garnishment would of been sent in (funds for garnishment were withheld). This is under Colorado Statutes. There was no agreement between employee and employer to take this money out of pay check.
    There are a bunch of issues here.

1) If the employer wasn't withholding the proper amount, it was your job to send in the difference.

2) The employer doesn't need an "agreement" with the employee to withhold funds if a garnishment has been filed.

What proof do you have that the employer is withholding for attorney's fees? Did they specifically tell you that they are doing this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:02 PM

Please do not ask or add to your question by starting new thread, I have merged the two posts.

Please come back and add more info by answering your own question with up to date info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to place Garnishment? How to locate person employer? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have rental homes & recently received a judgement for over $6000.00 on a renter who totally trashed the house & owes back rent. I guess the biggest question is how to find where the person is now working to place a garnishment on them. Is there any inexpensive (or better any free) ways...

Wrong employer information for garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a good friend of mine who has been divorced for a few years. In December she went back to court for an increase in her child support, which she was granted. He brought his paystubs to court and they took that information for the garnishment ( I'm guessing, I don't know how the system...

Locating an Employer for Wage Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a judgment against an individual and have been garnishing wages slowly for around a year now. This person recently changed jobs and I need to find out where her current place of employment is so I can file another Garnishment Application. What would be the best way to go about...

Child support garnishment not enforced by employer [ 9 Answers ]

I have had the child support in Colorado garnish the father's wages for almost 3 years. The employer refuses and I am told that in arapahoe county the magistrate doesn't hold the employer accountable for refusal of the garnishment. Further I am told that if I "blow the whistle" they will drop my...

View more questions Search