Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwashington Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 07:46 AM
    Where to put the drain?
    I have taken out a bathtub and am putting in a tile shower. To put the drain in the middle of the shower I need to extend the pipe out laterally about 20". I am afraid that doing that will cause backup or clogging. Is there really any problem with keeping the drain towards one end of the shower?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 09:47 AM
    If you're hand-tiling the base of the shower area then there's no problem making it drain to the pre-existing place.

... but the truth is also: a 20" sloped horizontal on the first part of the drain... before it gets to the trap... is not a problem either.

Either way the real work will be doing the sloping of the floor by hand - which I assume you already have taken into account.
    cwashington Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 11:12 AM
    Hey thanks for the help. Yeah the shower tiling will be pretty tough but I am pretty handy at tiling, my problems have all been with plumbing. I guess if there is no problem with a 20" slope I am going to stick with putting it in the middle. However I have one question about what you had said. I assumed the trap should go directly under the drain and then slope it to the wall. Are you saying I should slope from the drain and then put the trap 20" away from the drain? Appreciate your expertise.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
    If you're going with the drain in the middle - either way is equally effective:
    Adding the 20" line and connecting where the trap is now, or do the trap right under the drain if you have room.

I don't see a reason to prefer either. Whatever's easiest.

... but if you're not doing the job today, wait a bit for speedball's take on it too.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2005, 10:42 AM
    End drains are common and acceptable in tiled showers. How ever, what may not do is create a "S" trap which is what you'll be doing if you leave the trap where it is and come off the drain with a elbo, a 20" pipe and another elbo to connect to the trap.
    I would leave the trap alone and make my drain on the end but if you're dead set on having it in the center you must bust up the cement and position the trap under where you wish the drain to set. Good luck, tom
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Thanks for adding that, speedball1.

Heed speedball's advice, cwashington - you can't go wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

New sink drain 2" off from existing drain [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry for the dumb novice question, but thanks in advance for the advice. My new lavatory sink's drain is 2" away from lining up with the existing p- trap drain pipe. I REALLY don't want to cut off the whole p-trap drain to install a new one that would fit where I need it (as someone has...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search