Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twisted Jerk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 08:44 AM
    The blower motor on my furnace cuts out when I turn on the AC. I have the unit set to run the fan continuously and when turning on the AC the fan quits.
    The motor is a direct drive to the squirrel cage. I cleaned the cage and motor and reinstalled. The motor runs but does not seem to be moving much air. It still cuts out when turning on the AC. It sounds as though when turning on the AC there is a power draw from the motor as it tries to keep running but is overloaded and stops. When turning the furnace on the blower continues to run but still at the reduced rate. The wiring all looks intact and undisturbed but I do smell that "electrical burn" odor after turning on the AC. No odor when running the furnace. I'm hoping it's just a worn out motor and I can replace it. The furnace is an older Lennox about 1982 and I can't afford to replace it now. One last thing after the motor cuts out from turning the AC on it will start 15-30 seconds after switching off the AC.
    Thanks for your help.

Could this be a problem with the capacitor?

Checked voltage in wires from motor and all have power before and during initiation of AC. When AC cycles on sparks fly from rear of the motor and it shuts off when it overheats.Re-starts after shutting off AC. I think this is definitely the motor as all wires and grounds are intact. Any thoughts? Please? Was able to see the sparking now that I have someone to help with thermostat upstairs.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Sorry that I have not answered sooner but I was gone over the 4th.
    I did not understand completely what happens and when.
    First are you talking about the motor in the furnace, I assume you are.
    Second if you have everything off and you turn your fan to the on position what happens?
    Third what happens if you have the fan switch in auto position and then turn to ac and the thermostat is set for the AC to Come on.
    Forth if you did numberr three above and the motor came on how long did it run. And if it did cut off did it ever come back on by itself.
    Fifth if the blower does not run do you strt to get frost on the big line going from the AC.
    fenbach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Try oiling the fan motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor bad or what? [ 7 Answers ]

Howdy, My FURNACE/AC blower motor has quit workng. Checked unit... the squirrel cage fan spins smoothy, no bearing noise or roughness, when turned by hand. When I turn A/C on I hear A/C unit come on but fan doesn't blow. Same when turning on heating unit. Same response in 'AUTO' or 'ON' modes....

Blower Motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Blower motor has 4 wires +ground. 1 yellow 1 blk & 2 brwn(one with a small copper band on it) How is it to be wired to power? Which is common and which for speed? Thanks.

Furnace blower motor [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol Furnace, and it stopped working. I called a Heating Co, and the technician said that that the motor was bad, it's and old unit with Climatrol no longer in business. I might be able to find a used motor, but I really need a new furnace. After he left I was reaching in and I was...

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

View more questions Search