Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
    How do I write a letter to customers about a price increase?
    I own a landscaping business and due to gas price increase and product price increases I have to change the price of regular lawn service price.

Please help I don want to lose clients

Respectfully
    legen
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Raising prices always is a potential problem for losing clients, but 2 things you can hope for are:

a) client loyalty
    b) still having a competitive price

If your price increase will bring you up to what others charge, you shouldn't have a problem.

However, if your clients can go to someone else for less, they might. The only way they would stick around in that situation is loyalty or laziness (depending on how much money we are talking about).

How to write them a letter? I wouldn't. I am assuming you live in the North, and you have them sign a contract from like March-October. In which case, next time you sign a contract with them, tell them in person (or over the phone) that prices will go up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2006, 07:08 PM
    I believe I would go with Capt, I would assume you get a written contract to protect you from law suits and to protect the peoples rights also.

When you send out the contract, merely have the new price in place.
    People would expect price increases in all things. Now of course expect to lose a few people, My mower for example has increaed his prices so I shoped my mowing out and got it cheaper than his old price by a firm that does a lot of my other neighbors already.

So not only does a new year mean that someone else may move in and advertise in the paper, by leaving door hangers and just beat you out of business. But some people just ever so often bid out a lot of services, internet service, telephone, car insurance and so on are all bidded out at times, I do most at least every two years.

And of course a price increase may cause some to shop around that would not have anyway.

If you don't use a contract, do you carry liabity insurance, ( i.e. mower throws rock though house window or car window, you knock over and break the concrete bird bath or yard item. If you do be sure and sell your professional service. If you use high speed mowers, or always include triming, besure and always sell your good points.

My mower a few years back, put a rock right though my very large three pain gas sealed picture window. About 800 to replace. I ended up sueing him in court when he did not want to pay for the damage, I don't think he stopped mowing after that.

I also would not do it in a letter, but before the season was ready, I would go by and visit each of them and merely disucss their mowing needs, ask them what they want done this year, try to sell more service, like mulching, some land scaping, maybe chemicals added. Then a small increase in mowing will never be noticed in the new contract.

Best way to increase price is to increase all of the service for more money in general
    JCAJA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Sample Of A Letter To Increase Prices
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Think about what you can add to your service or what benefit(s) you can provide to your customers to seemingly offset the price increase. Something that won't cost you but is easy enough and beneficial to your clients.
    jcscorpio21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by legen
    I own a landscaping business and due to gas price increase and product price increases i have to change the price of regular lawn service price.

please help i don want to lose clients

respectfully
    legen
    I own a landscaping business and due to gas price increase and product price increases I have to change the price of regular lawn service price.

Please help I don want to lose clients
    THANUSJHA RAJESWARAN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by legen
    I own a landscaping business and due to gas price increase and product price increases i have to change the price of regular lawn service price.

please help i don want to lose clients

respectfully
    legen

How do i write a letter to customer about price increase for services
    THANUSJHA RAJESWARAN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
    How Do I Write A Letter To Customer About Price Increase For Services

Thank You
    Thanusjha Rajeswaran
    darntootin Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Mar 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
    If it is that you do not use contract with language built in that addresses price increases from time to time then you explain in person is the jist of it. Not only is it more personable and respecatable but it also somewhat puts client on the spot in seeing your situation. :) You could write it somewhat as you explained to us... "..due to gas price increase and product price increases i have to change the price of regular lawn service price."
    .. Regardless if you loose some business over it, don't fret cause there is plenty of fish in the sea. If you regularly gain all the business that you approach than for sure your charging too low a rate anyway. Know what percentage is decent for your field. In long run you will come to appreciate making more money through better paying loyal customers that know the value of your service. You'll have more free time with family or to build business that much more...
    tariq666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 14, 2007, 04:29 AM
    While you are quoting, raising, issuing your invoice or writing a letter to your customer you can mention the following note:

The price increased Due to current fluctuation in GAS prices,

Or

Due to current fluctuation in GAS prices, the price is valid for 7 days.

Or

Validity: Due to current fluctuation in the steel prices, the quote is valid for 30 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with introduction letter [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I need help writing an introduction letter to suppliers. I intend on purchasing products from them and selling it on. Can any one give me any advice? This is a new business start up. Thanks.

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

Need help with letter [ 10 Answers ]

I need some help with writing a letter. The right words to say. Here's the story. This is long please bear with me... My best friend & I have been like sisters for the past 20 years. She is not very close to her own Mom and so my Mom has really been "her mom" all these years. Her Mom lives in...

Trying to keep customers happy [ 4 Answers ]

This is a question for some of the plumbers that I see giving advice to others on here. If a person buys a product at the hardware stores and ask you to install it for him how do you determine what you might charge and how do you explain to the customer that he is actually not saving money in...

I need to increase the price. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a letter for a cleaning business to increase the price of the weekly cleaning. We have not had a price increase in 7 years.

View more questions Search