Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annettedela Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Feb 23, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Ocean current
    I am taking an oceanography class. Our discussion topic for the week is this: Suppose you are a particle of water dropped in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Florida. Describe the path you may take to get to one of the following locations: off the coast of Madagascar, or off the coast of Peru. Explain what caused your movement. Name the currents you travel in. Try to estimate how long your journey took.

Oceanography is not my forte. :( I'm staring at an ocean currents map I pulled up from Google and I don't know where to begin. I can name the currents but how do you figure out how long the journey will take?

Thank you!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 10:47 PM
    This probably like the map you have -- the ocean is much like currents in the weather

I am not sure how you would estimate a course and direction -- speed of water movement

http://www.cubanology.com/Screen%20S...n_currents.jpg
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:08 PM
    The following type of search also might be a help to you. I hope that it is!

Estimating Speed of Currents in the Ocean - Google Search
    annettedela Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Feb 24, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Thanks, you guys! That's exactly what I need. Here is my starting point. Now I just have to figure out distances and speed, etc:
    The drop of water would travel from the coast of Florida counterclockwise because of the Gulf Stream. Then it would be picked up by the North Atlantic Drift to the Canary current off the northwestern coast of Africa. The drop would then be caught by the Equatorial Counter followed by the South Equatorial in a counterclockwise direction, sending it off the coast of Brazil until it is swept by the Antarctic Circumpolar. The drop would then travel from the southernmost tip of South America in an eastward direction, below Africa and Australia on the Antarctic Circumpolar until it reached the South Pacific current, where it would travel north and finally reach the coast of Peru.
    MSNAT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Where did you find the depth and temperature?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ocean Colonization [ 1 Answers ]

Would it be possible to build a city that floats on the ocean?

Tripping of ac mcb on dc current below its rated current [ 2 Answers ]

Please let me know why ? MCB rated for 240/415VAC, 6Amperes trips on 5 Amps DC current at 24VDC voltage level Ambient operating temperature: 32 ° C MCB Designed for ambient temperature of 55° C Why MCB should trip:confused: ?

What if no ocean? [ 1 Answers ]

How might Earth be different if an ocean had not formed on its surface?

Current ratio and non current assets [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know what each makes contains. current assets 25,000 liabilities 40,000 equity 55,000 non current assets=80,000 ( Is this correct) non current 60,000

Current & Non-Current Assets [ 3 Answers ]

Why is classification of Assets into Current & Non-Current necessary? Or not necessary?

View more questions Search