Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjohnson620 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
    J/E to record sale of company property
    Non-profit company:

I am looking for the proper J/E to make for sale of company property expensed (not fixed asset) 10 years ago. Not sure of original cost etc.

Also, if we give away a fixed asset fully depreciated is the entry simply?

Accum depr (dr)
    Asset (cr)

Thx
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Yes that would be an appropriate journal if there is no residual value however you say it has been sold so if the item is written off there was a profit on sale and these transactions would have to be dealt with as an extraordinary item as they adjust prior year reporting

The question therefore becomes how was the asset disposed of and why do you want to retroactively write the item off. How do you know it is not already written off if this was 10 years ago and you don't have a record of original cost.
    mjohnson620 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes that would be an appropriate journal if there is no residual value however you say it has been sold so if the item is written off there was a profit on sale and these transactions would have to be dealt with as an extraordinary item as they adjust prior year reporting

The question therefore becomes how was the asset disposed of and why do you want to retroactively write the item off. How do you know it is not already written off if this was 10 years ago and you don't have a record of original cost.
    Thanks for your help and posting a response. Unfortunately I appear to have not been clear with my post. That was two separate questions. Can you or anyone provide an answer to my second question about the sale of company property previously expensed not depreciated. Thanks
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
    the question here is the materiality of the amount. If the amount is not material in relation to the companies business the item could be dealt with as non operating income. You would not attempt to write back the cost. When you adjust any prior year transaction then it is dealt with as an extraordinary item, prior year adjustment. There is really no point in making adjustments of the accounts for a ten year old item. If it is of material value then it would be an extraordinaty item

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws protecting property owners when mortgage company moves mobile home off property [ 3 Answers ]

My mother had a mobile home on our property and she recently passed away. There is a screened porch attached that my husband and I paid to have built. There is hard stucco all around the bottom of the home that will have to be broken up before the home is moved. The mortgage company wants to come...

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

Record the sale of a fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

How to record the sale of a fixed asset at year end?

Must every property sale be on public record ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if a seller of a home has the power to keep all sale details off public records so nobody will know when the property sold or for how much it sold for. Is there a federal or state law requiring all property sales to be on public records so anyone can have access to it ? Thank you.

View more questions Search