Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flyboy1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Where's the smell coming from
    Hey all,

I'm new here and I just moved into an older house that my friend is renting to me. I moved in a month ago, but I just started smelling something about 2 to 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it smelled like gas, so I called the gas company. I noticed that the smell only occurred starting around 6 or 7 pm and then is gone by mid-morning. The smell seems to be particularly strong in a very specific area in the master bedroom.

The smell started to occur around the time when I had cable installed in the master bedroom (they drilled a hole coming up to the room from the crawlspace underneath the house). So I used some plumbing insulation in a can and sealed the hole as best I could. I can still smell the odor, but I'm not sure if it's coming from that hole, but it is definitely coming from the area around the hole. So I went into the crawl space myself to take a better look. I added more insulation from there, but that didn't do anything. When looking under the house, I looked for dead animals and nests, mold, etc. I saw that a few of the floorboards where white, which made me think that there was some mold. But why would we only experience the smell at night? There was no moisure on the ground in the crawlspace that I could see. It didn't smell down there (at 10am) at all.

I noticed that when I turn on the heater, the smell goes away, then it comes back when I turn it off (the central heating unit is about 30 feet away, next to another bedroom, which NEVER smells). It doesn't smell like natural gas, plus, when I called the gas company, they said that a gas leak wouldn't appear at night (it would smell all the time) and it wouldn't go away, it would just get worse and worse.

Again, I didn't see any leaks or wetness on the ground down in the crawlspace, but I do not want to go into the crawlspace at night when the smell is most prevalent. Who should I call? A plumber? The gas company (but MAKE them come) again?

HELP!
    popsinflorida Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Do You Have A Septic System And If You Do Does The Smell Accurr After A Shower Or Dish Washing, Like In The Evening... ( Possibility If The Septic Tank Tops Out)..

Jan 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
    No, we don't have a septic tank. We live in a large urban city (long beach, ca) and the smell does not correspond to water usage. It just seems to be time/temperature sensitive at this point. I take showers in the morning and if I'm home in the afternoon (I teach tennis), but there is not much smell at that time. It seems to be strongest at night, although, it seems to be present all day long, but it gets the strongest at night, then dissipates.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 03:53 PM
    It could be that you are looking for a smell associated with gas or sewer, maybe it could be caused by something else. Have you bought a new shower curtain or something like that that can be putting off an odor. Do you have drapes in that room that are on the sunshine side of the waes that the sun could be causing to emit an odor. Wall papers, carpets, furniture, lots of different things that are made with plastic or glue can put off odors, especially if the sun can shine on them.
    There is always the chance of a dead varmint in one of the walls. Good luck,

Jan 31, 2007, 04:47 PM
    I was thinking either sewer gas or natural gas, but where would the sewer gas be coming from? It didn't appear that there were any drainage leaks from the pipes below the bedroom, nor is the smell constant. If there was a gas leak, wouldn't this be constant, and wouldn't my house be so filled with gas that it would be in every room? I have also looked for dead animals in the crawl space and didn't see any.

My biggest puzzle is why do I only smell it at night?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Pet smell coming through the drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My downstairs neighbor's apartment reeks of pet smell. They have dogs, birds etc in a very small apaartment. Since I have moved in there has been a really bad odor coming up through the drains in the bathroom. Can someone give me an idea on how to correct this? My thought is that they...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

Smell coming from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - our guest bathroom has this awful smell coming from the toilet - And we are at a loss to what it is from. We have a septic tank but the master bath doesn't smell at all. I was told to check the vent, or the wax seal to the floor. What do you think or is there something else I...

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search