Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 06:16 AM
    LED won't blink amymore in Standby.
    I have a MSI K8MM3-V AMD x64 motherboard with 2GB's of RAM, an AMD Athlon 64 3200Mhz processor. A 256 MB NVidia AGP video card, a Creative sound card and a Coolmax 550 watt power supply. I run Vista Home Basic x64 on it.

I just recently put in the motherboard, which is refurbished. At first, when I would go into standby mode or sleep, the unit would shut down and the power LED light would blink on and off until I resumed it from standby. Now, all of sudden, it has stopped blinking when I put it to sleep. I know it's not the LED because it always shows green when it's in normal operations. What went wrong?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Does it still wake up as rapidly as before? If so, I'd slot this into the "interesting but mostly harmless" category.

Aug 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
    JBeaucaire... Thanks for replying. Yes it resumes from standby or sleep, just fine. But you have to understand something about me. I am a perfectionist when it comes to building and maintaining my systems (My quality control is probably better than most tech support shops)

So things like this, even though small, really bug me. If something doesn't work, I want to know why. One question I do have... Could this have anything to do with Vista? Also, I forgot to mention, I even reversed the Power LED wire on the motherboard pin, with no effect.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
    I'm a software guy for the most part. If you've changed any hardware settings, I'd suggest changing those BACK first, then doing a system restore back to a date prior to when it last "blinked" the LED in your memory.

If doing that doesn't fix it, then perhaps it IS a hardware thing and wiser hardwarians will pipe in...
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Aug 8, 2008, 02:20 AM
    You mentioned its refurbished, I'm guesing they upgraded or downgraded the bios because I remember about two years ago when I had an msi and upgraded the bios, the changelog was "set led blinking in s3"

Unfortunately msi haven't relesed a list of changes with the updates for your board :@ but I'm pretty sure that's the problem (I wouldn't bother flashing it though unless you find that it doesn't fully support the cpu or something)

Aug 8, 2008, 10:46 AM
    tf7426... Thanks for replying... I'm not exactly sure what they did when they refurbished the MSI board. I know that it was more than just a refurbished board though. It was completely different board altogether. They apparently have to do that, since they no longer manufacture these boards and they don't keep any new ones on stock for RMA replacement purposes.

I did happen to download and install they're LiveUpdate 3, which kind of works on Vista. When you run a scan it will show available driver updates, including the BIOS. According to my scan, it showed that I had the latest BIOS. But these days, after everything I've been through regarding Vista compatible boards, refurbished boards, boards that are DOA and bad technical support, I'm not sure I even believe that utility.

In fact I am not even sure how reliable they are. I probably should check the BIOS version manually, although that is sometimes a hard process to find out. Right now, for some reason, I can't check it during the POST, because Pause Break does not seem to work.

So I may just install something like Everest, which I believe will tell me what BIOS is in there.I'm also going to go back into the BIOS and mess around a little bit with the Power Suspend settings.

There's actually not much to change in there on that, but you never know what little setting might just do the trick. Right now I have it set to totally turn off the computer and monitor when I click Standby, but there may be one more setting in there to try to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blink-182 Split [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Blink-182 will ever get back together? + 44 and Angels & Airwaves are both good bands but Not even as close to as good as Blink-182. Also, does anyone know why the band split? I thought it was that there was a fight over who should be the lead singer. Well if anyone knows...

90 civic.. 1 blink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 civic. There service engine light came on. I get one blink. What is the error and how do I fix it?

Blink cursor [ 5 Answers ]

At boot up I get a blinking cursor on the top left on the monitor, I try to press f8 but can't get in to it, I can get into setup. Can someone help? Thanks Passaic33

View more questions Search