Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbacken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2018, 09:33 AM
    Prescription Renewal
    I have been on the same blood pressure meds for over 30 years. I can not afford to pay the doctor for an office visit when they do nothing and I have no other health issues. I am Only going to renew my prescription. I am 71 years old. Is there a way to get my prescription renewed without this unnecessary doctors' visit?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2018, 09:59 AM
    You will have to run this past your doctor first. I did, and here's how I get my blood pressure prescription renewed without unnecessary doctor visits:

When your current supply of blood pressure pills is down to five that are left, call the pharmacy. They will call or fax the doctor's office and ask for three months of refills (and will sell you a month at a time).

The doctor will want you to come in at least once a year (or maybe twice a year) for a general checkup that will include a blood pressure check.

Also, buy a good quality blood pressure machine and calibrate it with your doctor's. Ask him or his nurse to show you how to operate it correctly and what your range should be. At home, keep a weekly record of your blood pressure. If your numbers change drastically, report that to the doctor's office.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2018, 10:02 AM
    Due to Medicaid restrictions, the doctor must see you one a year for any and all medication refills.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 30, 2018, 12:30 PM
    As with the above answers, I know my doctor will do my normal ones up to 6 months and requires me to come in every 6 months.

The drug store merely calls the doctor if the prescription is out and the nurse there, issues a new one.

But each doctor may have their own rules.
    Some drug chains have a doctor or nurse practitioner on site, which is normally cheaper than a visit to the doctor for normal refills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prescription or not [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to have a prescription from my doctor to get adipex?

Is my prescription right for me [ 9 Answers ]

I recently had my spectacles made online, however when I received them the lenses seemed rather thick I did enquire about this and found that they had made up the whole prescription in one go, the prescription was for distance with reading glasses as well surely they should have known to keep the...

Old Prescription [ 2 Answers ]

I have medication, I do not know if it matters what kind but it is cyclobenzaprine, which is a muscle relaxer. How long is the pills good for? I will defiantly double check with my pharmacist, but would like to know if anybody here as any idea. The script I got was in July/08. I pretty much...

New prescription [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possiable my script to change this much over 2 years Old one Sph cly axis Od +100 -100 110 Os -100 -50 75 New one Od +75 +100 25

Eye prescription [ 1 Answers ]

So my vision is -2.25 in both of my eyes but I was wondering what this means in terms of 20/20?

View more questions Search