Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nemophilist Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Deciding on a university major
    So basically, I will be applying to university in about 6 months, but I've been struggling to narrow down my options for a major. Being a person whose obsessed with Wildlife in general, I've thought of environmental science, zoology, agriculture, marine biology... my main dilemma is not knowing which of these (or anything similar) will be easiest to find a job with in Europe (I live in Denmark but don't necessarily plan on staying).would really appreciate help of any sort
    gamergirl4life Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2014, 06:03 PM
    My advice would be to go online and looking for the salary around your area (or where you are looking to go). This would allow you to see all of options that you have. In the end it's all up to you so the best of luck in your endeavors.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2014, 07:12 AM
    I will disagree, if salary alone is the issue, be a doctor.

But you need to consider what type of job you want, and follow a path to that.

If not, just do general studies for the first year to two,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 9, 2014, 08:53 AM
    Where in the world is there a university that requires that a first year student chose a major? It is totally unnecessary to even worry about classes yet, much less a major. Virtually every science and math and computer course, and even languages and history, will provide the broad base you need for ANY specialized career.

Being obsessed with wildlife means a career, no matter how you slice it. Some don't pay well, but there will be jobs all over the world. And if you go back for a PhD later, you will then really know what your obsession boils down to. And the wildlife of the earth is changing daily, so your value may change as each year goes by.

Many careers overlap. Yesterday's chemist might solve today's bee dying mystery. A computer programmer might be needed for a marine study. Geologists contribute to the knowledge of species extinction. The list goes on!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 9, 2014, 10:01 AM
    Make a list of the fields you are interested in, and find the courses requirements you need to qualify for each one. This will give you an idea of what you should be focusing on as far as the basic for the first few years while you decide your major. Your major can change, likely will, and there is also a minor study to consider, so you keep your options in front of you until you finally decide. This also give you an idea of which university best fits you, and that leads to a good guidance counselor to point you in the right direction.

Comes down to preparation and research before you make a decision. It's a process.
    Nemophilist Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2014, 08:46 PM
    The problem is not knowing where you want to end up. For me, as long as the work is outside and interactive with nature and the animals, I'll be more than satisfied.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 9, 2014, 08:53 PM
    I'd visit my academic advisor during my first year of study. You should be taking general courses, and you can be an "undeclared" major for that year. Don't rush your decision. You have plenty of time to decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I complete my pre-quest for my major and then transfer to a university? [ 1 Answers ]

I have completed a majority of the academic requirements for enrollment in the Nursing Program/ courses offered at my community college. There is over 30,000 students enrolled at the (CC). The nursing program randomly selects 50 students per semester. The universitie I want to transfers to has an...

I need to deciding a major [ 5 Answers ]

I been in college for 2 years now and I still don't know what to pursue in life. I would really to teach and I enjoy kids but I don't have the patience. I like fields that involve talking in front of people, children, helping people, advicing and just working with people. I took so many career test...

Choosing university major [ 1 Answers ]

I want help in choosing majors under college of engineering. Is there any test that help me to choose the major, either in engineering or other colleges, that I study with feeling of happiness and satisfaction? By the way, I have a bachelor degree in industrial engineering and I attend to enter a...

View more questions Search