Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    africa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Garage door
    When I close my automatic garage door it closes then a couple seconds later opens on its own
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Is there a light sensor near the floor on one side of the door on the inside? There should be a couple of brackets, one on each side of the door. One may have a little light that is on.

When you put your hand in front of the sensor path the light should go off.

Is it constantly on when nothing is in the way? Is it blinking or varying in intensity? Is there something in the way of the sensor, such as cobwebs or leaves?

Sometimes the brackets can get bumped. I've done this. By gently putting pressure on the bracket, moving it slightly forward or back, I've been able to realign the path so the signal is stronger. If its too weak or intermittent the opener may "think" there is an object in the way.

Also, I've had it look OK before in the day, but at night you can see the intensity clearly changing.

Also, can you hold down the button mounted in the garage and close the door? You can sometimes "override" the sensor by holding the button down.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Check you lower limit switch. It should trip when the door is an inch or 2 from the bottom. Once tripped, it defeats the ''reverse when the door hits something'' circuit allowing it to remain closed when it hits the floor. Older doors don't have optical sensors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage Door [ 3 Answers ]

I am in NYS and want to insulate my garage door with 1.5" rigid insulation board. This is a signal door for a double garage. Will the added weight of the board require a change in the torsion spring (this door has one above not 1 on each rail. I am getting conflicted advice from people so I am...

Garage Door [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my garage door. It does not matter what remote I use or If I use the key pad. The door will stop opening 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the way from opening up. Light works, and if you hit the button again, the door does go back down. If I keep trying, it will eventually open all the...

View more questions Search