Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akcory Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 10:29 PM
    A strange smell in our house!?
    We came home tonight to our 3 yr old house and there was a stale or gas-like smell in the house. Strangely enough, we don't have anything that is gas-powered. Our house is totally electric. The smell is very faint, and we only smell it when we go out, then come back in, but I can feel it in my eyes and my sinuses (although that could be my head playing tricks!) It does not smell like cat pee, nor does it smell electric. Still, it is bothersome. We have had this house since it was built, just a few years ago, so we are the only owners, and have never smelled anything like this before. Also, it may just be a coincidence, but each of our cats (we have two) have been ill recently, like sluggish and not interested in eating. Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Dec 27, 2010, 01:34 PM
    The odor is probably always there, but olfactory fatigue won't let you register it. That's why it would be noticeable after an absence.

I suggest a professional home inspection. There may be sewer gas coming in through improperly installed plumbing, wildlife in the attic/roof, or mold growing within your walls and floors. Mold in newly built homes is a big problem since the real estate bubble and fast construction. If this is the problem, you may have legal recourse to get the builder to pay for repairs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have a strange smell in my house it started 1 week ago I thought it was coming from outr heater vents like a gas smell I called the fire dept they test for carbon monoxide there was none they said it smelt like ammonia or cat piss I smelled the carpets and cat pan no smell I let the house air out...

Strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

We have a strange smell in our house. It builds up when my wife and I are out of the house for a couple of hours or more. If one of us is home, when the other comes home there is no noticeable smell. We both have to be gone. It is weird. The smell is kind of a stale, unpleasant smell such as...

Strange smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

In the last 6 weeks we have noticed a strange smell in our house, by the frontdoor and passage way. The smell comes and goes but can get quite strong. I can only describe it... don't laugh, as smelling of someone smoking cannabis. However no body in the house smokes. I first thought that it may be...

My house has a strange smell... Please HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing question. My house has a bad smell to it, and it is driving me crazy. Not sure where it is coming from. Have checked and there is a trap on every fixture and a 1.5" PVC pipe that goes through the roof for the vent. There is only 1 vent for the house and it is intended to vent 1...

Very strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi :) , we've lived in our house six months now, and over the past few weeks, we've noticed a strange smell. The house is about 70 years old, carpets are about a year old, kitchen is all new, bathrooms fairly new. Some of the walls are anaglypta, and although they feel a little spongy underneath,...

View more questions Search