Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miraclemanays Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 12:25 PM
    No lease. Security deposit debacle.
    Ok, so I've been living in a room I found on Craig's List for the past 6 months. With no lease. One of my room mates is the lease holder and we pay him rent, which he in turn pays the landlord. It turns out he's been overcharging us to the extent that he actually makes a profit when rent is due. To make matters worse he is kicking me out so he can charge more money to another tenant. On top of this, he doesn't have my security deposit. He says that my security deposit goes to the person who moved out before me and I can't get my deposit back until the new person pays him. It's my last month and I think I just won't pay him at all.
    1. Is there anything I can do about being overcharged since I don't have a lease?
    2. Can I not pay this last months rent?
    3. Can he forcibly move my things out before the 1st?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
    If you agreed to pay him whatever it is you paid him, how can you be overcharged?

States differ as to residency laws, but whenever you are renting without a written lease you are working without a net. I would get my stuff and get out as soon as possible.
    stickyboul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
    "One of my room mates is the lease holder and we pay him rent, which he in turn pays the landlord. It turns out he's been overcharging us to the extent that he actually makes a profit when rent is due." --------- that would be the technical definition of a "sublet", and you are simply "subleasing" a portion of his leased space, which is perfectly legal if his lease with the property owner allowed it. Emlands question to is 100% in that regard... you agreed to the "sublet" amount... so he certainly is not "cheating" you. Now that "ponzi" type deal he has going on with the security deposit is funky... if you don't have anything in writing, or receipts, or info on what bank account your deposit is being held, then you may be out of luck. You may want to talk to a competent R.E. attorney on that one... you may have a few legal remedies if he is operating (subleasing) and his actual lease with the owner prohibits it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit [ 5 Answers ]

My Landlord would not return any of my security deposit $900 and also sent me a bill for $4000. She is taking undue advantage of me. I left the apartment clean. She did not take me for the inspection even when I had told her that I need to be there in the inspection. I haven't taken pictures when I...

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

View more questions Search