Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2006, 04:31 AM
    Windows & Firefox: Right Click "Open With" Option
    Been mostly using FF this year but some sites don't play well - and some impossible.

I've got shortcuts to these sites on my desktop.

I'd really love to "designate" them as IE shortcuts so that they'll open with IE if I click on them.

... but if this is not possible, I'd like to at least have the option to "Open With" when I right click on it. Currently, when I right click on one, I only have the options Open, Print, Send To, etc.

Can I do either of the above?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 5, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Hmmm an interesting indea but flawed.
    Which program to open a file is dependent on the File Type so .doc is always word and .htm is always your default browser.

So what you could do is set up .htm for FF and .html's for IE.

To force the "Open With.. " you need to UNdefault FF as your browser.
    Tools > Options > General > Default check box > UNcheck it.
    Also you need to ensure IE isn't checking to make sure it's default.
    Tools > OPtions > Programs Tab > Cjeck box at the bottom > UNcheck it.

Now when you go to open a shortcut a right click should give you the Open With as there is no default set.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Thanks, Curly. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Instead, then, I'll just have to remember to open IE first for these links and put them in a favorites folder in IE. That way I keep the default FF for most of the sites I visit.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Out of curiousity - what sites aren't working? I'm curious to see if this is a problem with the site itself or the browser.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2006, 08:28 AM
    No, these are specific company issues.
    * Roadrunner tech support chat
    * ordering and retrieving credit reports from the credit bureau
    * Our payroll service.

And also, I ftp backups to our business website, and the method we use only works in IE.

It's so few, that's why I'll keep FF as the default.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Yes ignore me Rick. I don't know what I was asking for either :P Some companies have to learn that we don't live in a world of just one browser anymore (YAY!) so they have to ensure that their software works on more than just IE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox question about the "tabbed browsing" [ 4 Answers ]

I recently started using Firefox browser, unfortunately, I messed around with customizing it and somehow It does not do the "tabbed browsing" feature. I lost it and cannot find where to fix it. I did delete the program, the Firefox and reinstalled it hoping it would go back to the default...

Firefox toolbar customizaton: "flexible space" [ 1 Answers ]

Nothing in Help for the "flexible space"... I thought if I put one in there, I could stretch it to be as wide as I like... but it does not stretch. All it really is is a skinny space. What exactly is the flexible space and how do I use it? Thanks!

I can't open the "help support" in explorer [ 6 Answers ]

I can't open the "help support" in explorer, internet explorer or Control panel. I am using XP PRO :confused:

Firefox toolbar settings suddenly aren't "sticking" [ 5 Answers ]

For some reason, starting just yesterday, my toolbar settings are are lost every time I shut it down. I've not added any plugins or changed anything with FF. Weird. Any clues what could cause this? Thanks!

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search