Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Giving up parental rights
    Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the father do I still need to go to court to have his rights taken away . Beacuase people have told me after a year the father gives up rights automatically. Please help me out because I want to do this beofre the baby gets to old
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyman
    hi my gf has a lil girl by another man. but he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my gf are getting married in april i wanna adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the father do i still need to go to court to have his rights taken away . beacuase people have told me after a year the father gives up rights automatically. please help me out because i wanna do this beofre the baby gets to old
    People who told you that after a year of no contact that the parental rights cease, were not telling you the truth. While this guy sounds like a dead beat, he still has the parental rights. He just chooses not to use them. You absolutely need to do this legally. Contact an attorney to start the adoption. The attorney will post the notices in the newspaper. There has to be proof to the court that all attempts were made to contact the biological father. Trying to find him through his family. Friends, notices, etc. all are methods to use. It is just the way it works. For the very reason of the following - say you adopt this child and in a few years along comes this guy claiming he did not know anything. What a mess. Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Giving up parental right [ 8 Answers ]

I live in TX and so does my ex she wants to take me off the birth certificate of HER 6 year old son not mine I just signed the certificate not knowing at the time and Im willing to let her do so what is the proper protocol for this situation:D

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a adopted daughter, her real mom wants to give up parental rights to her. She is 15 yrs old now.If her real mother gives up rights then later down the road the 15 year old wants to go live with her real mom.. Would we have to pay child support to her real mom being she gave up her...

View more questions Search