Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Invisible Fencing
    Hi all,

Just wondering what your opinions were on invisible fencing. I have been to their website, done some research on the topic and have scheduled an appointment for them to come and look at our property. But, what is your opinion on the fencing, does it work for little dogs as well as it does on larger dogs?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I have had invisible fencing at two properties for same dog. Second time I had it moved to my new house. Yes, I think its great and she is completely used to it; she is quite large, about 80 lbs. and wears the collar as soon as she goes out. It does deter her from going after pesky critters like squirrels and our cat is always teasing her and running into the next hard. Dog just lays in wait under the pine tree for her.

It was expensive but well worth it because we didn't want fences or hedges (our neighbours don't either).

It all depends on how smart your pet is for training. They set up the flags about two feet from where the wire is and you train the dog yourself, then you take away the flags.

Good luck ! If you want any more info just private message me.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I've known some people who have used it and it worked really well, but I had a friend in High School whose dog was still so determined to get out of the yard she would get shocked anyway. They had to turn the intensity up so high the poor thing couldn't go into certain rooms of the house without getting shocked! This particular dog was larger (maybe 45lbs) whereas the people I know with the most success have smaller dogs. Good luck to you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Perhaps it may depend on your dog. Some of invisible fences work, and work
    Well. Four people on my block have them, including the people across the street that have a smalldog, and I have never seen any of their
    Dogs running loose including the one young, unneutered male Lab. On the other
    Hand, I know they won't work with some dogs. Some dogs are very determined to
    Get loose, and aren't going to let a little shock stop them.

Is your dog careful to avoid anything where it got hurt? Is it creative and
    Determined to do what it wants regardless of your corrections? Does it roam
    The neighborhood, or just stray into you neighbors yard? You know your dog,
    Does it seem like a shock would stop it? Do you have a friend that might let
    You try their collar and fence?

This is one case where I would go with name brand quality. Many of the ones I
    See working have the little white flags with the Green IF logo. Maybe the
    Dogs I see running loose with their radio collars escaped a $50 unit from Big
    Lots. Is your landscaping complete? Grading cuts the buried wires. How
    Often is your dog home alone in a power outage? You could add a small UPS system.

I am sorry my answer is so full of questions, but it think you need to answer
    Them to decide if the invisible fence will work for you. Many pet owners find
    Them a very workable way of meeting their responsibility to restrain their
    Dog. You might be surprised at how many of your neighbors resent your dog
    Coming around and just haven't said so. I hope my answer helps you choose a
    Way to control your dog that works.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    Tuscany does not wander far from my husband or I when he is out and he is never let out alone or off a leash. But, I feel bad that he can't run and "be a dog." So that is what lead us to the fencing.

Labman, Tuscany is the biggest baby ever. He will do anything to avoid getting hurt, or even a getting the evil eye from me... :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Tuscany, is a traditional fence not an option? I know some neighborhoods don't allow fences, but I wondered if not getting a traditional fence was a matter of expense, neighborhood restrictions, or just personal preference. Before my husband and I installed a fence in our yard (saving the money for it) we installed a "temporary fence" in a small part of the yard where the dog could access via the back door. Our dog was only a puppy at this time, and we fully fenced the yard later, but it worked well for the time being.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Well I think he sounds like a good candidate. Sorry about that reference to the neighbors resenting your dog. I don't think it is any secret that I recycle answers, and sometimes I need to edit them more. I would be very surprised to learn you have been anything except a responsible dog owner. There are others that is wouldn't hurt to be reminded.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
    I agree the invisible fencing works for some dogs and not for others. When I was married we used invisible fencing and through the years, all our dogs (6) did well with the fencing. Only one refused to learn, she was stubborn all the way around. Hard to train in other areas too. She was a coon hound who wanted to chase deer instead of track racoons.

I would recommend the invisible fencing. It was expensive but worth the money and effort. Good luck to you!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Just be aware that they will not protect your dog from other animals and people. And, depending on what sort of prey drive your dog has, they may run through them and then be caught on the outside, unwilling to go back through to get in your yard. Personally, I'd go for a traditional fence, but I also have cats to worry about. And you can cat-proof a traditional fence, but they don't respond well to invisible fences at all!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
    I had it with my cockers and it worked great, once in several years one got across, he started chasing a cat and no sound or anything could stop him from chasing that cat. ( but then a 4 foot fense would not have even slowed them down either)

Of course my wife has always wanted a husband version.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

May 30, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Invisible fences are great tools, but like any tool they are not totally foolproof.. I have known dogs that stopped on a dime when approaching the outer perimeter and I have seen dogs that are willing to bolt right through regardless of the shock.. It all depends on the dog, the situation, what stimulus is on the other side, how well they were socialized, if the dog is hyper aggressive towards other canines, and your neighbor walks her dogs down the street then you may have problems. I would say they are successful 90% of the time in accomplishing the mission... Dog Daycare, Grooming, and Pet Suites, from  -PAWS K9 COMFORT ZONE-
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Well I think he sounds like a good candidate. Sorry about that reference to the neighbors resenting your dog. I don't think it is any secret that I recycle answers, and sometimes I need to edit them more. I would be very surprised to learn you have been anything except a responsible dog owner. There are others that is wouldn't hurt to be reminded.

No problem :) Thanks for all of your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Invisible biting mite [ 15 Answers ]

Google brought me to this site because someone else had a similar question. Many years ago I picked up a coffee table from the trash of a dilapidated house. Not long after I felt "things" on my legs in my car. These spread indoors and were mostly active at night. Since then I have controlled...

My invisible child [ 59 Answers ]

Christmas is coming. Typically I meet my ex 500 miles away to swap the kids so they can spend time with me. This only happens twice each year. Once during the summer and once during Christmas. I am remarried and have 1 child with my new wife. She has an older child from her previous marriage. ...

Fencing with quadratics [ 2 Answers ]

Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she plans to build a fence( no duh) She intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fence is needed. She plans to divide the pen into two smaller pens. I have the 3 vertical fences labeled as y(there all the same length) and the...

Invisible [ 13 Answers ]

Has anyone out there ever felt so invisable that the air they breathe didn't even make a difference? I see that commercial on TV about mothers feeling invisable and I know who that feels, but it is worse when you get close to retirement and no one seems to see you or hear you. It's like you are a...

Is fencing a good sport? [ 1 Answers ]

I sooo want to try this sport. Can anyone tell me how this goes? Do I need to buy the gears while I'm still checking out the sport? Just want to try it out first

View more questions Search