Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpichora Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Oct 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Rh & W wires mixed, 2 wire heating
    Hope someone can help! Labman you've touched on this but I want to be sure.

I have a simple baseboard heater connected to an old analog thermostat with no labeling or HVAC color coding, and I would like to install a new programmable thermostat with only the Rh and W connected - I am using 2-wire heating only. (no fan, A/C, etc... ) .

There are two sets of wires in the electrical box behind the existing t-stat: 2 grounds, 2 white, 2 black. The two whites are connected to each other, and the two blacks are connected to 2 unmarked terminals on the old t-stat.

So here's what I need to know:
    1. Do I leave the 2 whites connected, and connect the blacks to the R & W?
    2. Does it matter which black goes to the R and which goes to W? (If so how can I distinguish between the two black wires?! )

Thanks very much!

Mark
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Oct 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpichora
    Hope someone can help! Labman you've touched on this but I want to be sure.

I have a simple baseboard heater connected to an old analog thermostat with no labeling or HVAC color coding, and I would like to install a new programmable thermostat with only the Rh and W connected - I am using 2-wire heating only. (no fan, A/C, etc...) .

There are two sets of wires in the electrical box behind the existing t-stat: 2 grounds, 2 white, 2 black. The two whites are connected to each other, and the two blacks are connected to 2 unmarked terminals on the old t-stat.

So here's what I need to know:
    1. Do I leave the 2 whites connected, and connect the blacks to the R & W?
    2. Does it matter which black goes to the R and which goes to W? (If so how can I distinguish between the two black wires??!! )

Thanks very much!

Mark
    1. Yes
    2. No. Doesn't matter

Make sure the thermostat you purchased is for line voltage. i.e. it should say that it is rated for x thousand watts and 240V.

Oct 31, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Thanks, that was very quick!

It's an AUBE TH147-P , and it says "24V - 1A"

-Mark
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Oct 31, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Nooooo! Do not install this thermostat. It is the wrong thermostat for a baseboard heater. It is for a furnace or other low voltage system that uses an isolating relay.

Go back to where you purchased it and swap it for a line voltage thermostat. Here's an example form the same manufacturer as the one you purchased
    Aube Technologies TH106, Line Voltage Thermostat, SPST 120V or 240V

Oct 31, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rtw_travel
    Nooooo! Do not install this thermostat. It is the wrong thermostat for a baseboard heater. It is for a furnace or other low voltage system that uses an isolating relay.

Go back to where you purchased it and swap it for a line voltage thermostat. Here's an example form the same manufacturer as the one you purchased
    Aube Technologies TH106, Line Voltage Thermostat, SPST 120V or 240V
    Okay, now my problem is that I have a fire on the south wall of my bedroom... just kidding! Thanks a lot for the help, I'll go exchange my thermostat.

Cheers !

Mark
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:22 PM
    If it is a 240 volt heater, you should buy a double pole thermostat and disconnect the 2 whites and connect them to the second set of contacts. I don't remember if a double pole thermostat is code, or just a good practice. The wires are heavy #12 or #10, and not the little #18 wire 24 volt thermostats use?

Oct 31, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If it is a 240 volt heater, you should buy a double pole thermostat and disconnect the 2 whites and connect them to the second set of contacts. I don't remember if a double pole thermostat is code, or just a good practice. The wires are heavy #12 or #10, and not the little #18 wire 24 volt thermostats use?
    Thanks Labman, the response time in here is unbeatable! I just went to return my 24V thermostat for a line load version. rtw_travel recommended the TH106, but all they had left was the TH104plus, which doesn't have the same range of voltage compatibility. I haven't cracked open the heater yet to see what voltage it is, but my line registers 120V. I assume this means that a 240V t-stat is no good, i.e. I should hunt around for a TH106 and not settle for the TH104. Any thoughts? If my line is only supplying 120V does it hurt to use a 240V thermostat? Would it even work?

Appreciate the enlightenment,

Mark
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
    No problem using a 240 volt thermostat on a 120 volt circuit. Most quick way to sort out is to look at the breaker. A double wide one with the 2 handles linked together, and it is 240 volts. A single handle is 120 volts.

Nov 1, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Ah, that explains it. My breaker is indeed set up for a 240V circuit. I also double checked my heater and it is 240V.

Problem solved, case closed, thanks for the education. My heater piped in at 5:40 this morning as planned.

Take care,

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Kenmore Dryer not heating -wire connector discoloration [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore Dryer not heating but spins and appears to be working fine. I've visually check the heating element and don't see any breakage on the coil. I do see wire connector discoloration on the two thermostat , (hi-limit tstat and operating tstat). I'm planning on replacing both. Do...

Heating & Cooling Maintenance, Repair & Troubleshooting FAQ from NortherHeat [ 57 Answers ]

Check out these tips and explanations, below, from our Heating and Cooling Expert. Of course, you're also welcome to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Heating & Air Contidioning" button at the top of the page.

Double wires on a single wire breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My home inspector put the following in my inspection report and I would like to know if anyone know the possible solutions, including the lower cost ones. Also, does this create any danger or fire hazard? * the two improper double feeds in the sub panel in the Laundry where two...

B&S Ignition Wires [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B&S 18HP and I took off the ignition switch since it was really bad looking and thought I would remember where the wires went... however... I DO NOT~ can you give me an idea of what wires go where on the switch... seems it worked and cranked the motor before... and now... well... don't...

View more questions Search