Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeldagadian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000
    Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the car I saw cd's like 5, I took music I do not even listen too, paula abdule and casy and the sunshine band. And not sure what the others were a couple were burned cd's. As I left the driveway my friends were already up ahead and talking to a stopped car, three guesses who it was, the police, so anyway I got slapped in handcuffs and placed in the back of the car, I am 21 years old and this is my first offense. Anyway he drove to the house to confirm if they were their cd's and then he came back to the car, drove a bit around the block and stopped in front of my house and let me go, before that though he wrote up a ticket saying the 15th of march I have to get finger printed at my station, and then have a court date on the 22'nd of march. He told me what would happen though if I didn't go he said it will be a criminal record, but he told me if I went I would most likely just get a fine and no criminal record. I live in Canada Ontario if that helps. Reason why I am so concerned is that I am applying for the military, it is something I have been preparing for since last year, and have been thinking about since at least the past 5 years.

So what do you guys think will happen and is there anything I can do to not get a criminal record. Oh and might I just add I was going to return the cd's, not back in their car I was going to put it back in their mail boxes. Believe what you want but that is just not the way I am, I never had done anything like this before, and I was also intoxicated on alcohol. Any help would be greatly appreciated, it sucks I really need to get new friends. I know it was me that did it, but it was peer-pressure that fully pushed me to do it.

Tim
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Do what the officer said.

Feb 26, 2007, 07:55 AM
    So I shouldn't try that Alternate Measures program?
    jellyfishattack Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
    You were arrested and have a trial date. Unless the case is dismissed or you are found not guilty you will have a criminal record.

Feb 26, 2007, 07:26 PM
    You can try for Alternate Measures. Talk to your attorney.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldagadian
    I know it was me that did it, but it was peer-pressure that fully pushed me to do it. Tim
    Hello tim:

So, if you were in Baghdad and one of your peer soldiers was holding down an Iraqi, and yelling at you to shoot him, are you?? I think you need to get a job at McDonalds...

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello tim:

So, if you were in Baghdad and one of your peer soldiers was holding down an Iraqi, and yelling at you to shoot him, are you???? I think you need to get a job at McDonalds.......

excon

Lol excon.

Although in the case of us Canucks, it would be in Kandahar.

I think you need to give Tim a break thought excon.

This isn’t the US Military we are talking about, it’s the Canadian one. Are we even allowed to carry guns? Do we even have any? :p

TIM,
    What were you thinking??

When I read your post, I thought, OK, a teenager, kids make mistakes. Then I read you are 21?

Get a VERY good lawyer.

Feb 28, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello tim:

So, if you were in Baghdad and one of your peer soldiers was holding down an Iraqi, and yelling at you to shoot him, are you???? I think you need to get a job at McDonalds.......

excon

Nice one, going from 15dollars an hour to mcdonalds, not to sound cocky or anything but with the vast knowledge I have of computer engineering and programing, even with a criminal record, I will still get somewhere, I just figure since it was a stupid mistake and the first one I have ever made it just doesn't seem right to have a criminal record for something like this, I think categorizing everything below theft under 5000 as theft under 5000 is stupid 25 dollars maybe is a big difference when compared to 5000. I want to serve my country and a stupid mistake like this should not stop me from doing so. Excon I really do not like your opinions to well, some people on these boards may of deserved them like the guy who is going through his 3ed DUI but not me, so please keep comments like that to yourself. Peer pressure exists if you believe it or not, sorry my mind is not as strong as yours and is susceptible to peer pressure.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and captainforest, I may be 21 but the area I am from, these kinds of actions even from people older then me is often, unfortunetly we are products of our environment and I do need to get out of here which is why I am leaving my friends who some shouldn't even be and going to the military.

Feb 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldagadian
    Excon I really do not like your opinions to well, some ppl on these boards may of deserved them like the guy who is going through his 3ed DUI but not me, so please keep comments like that to yourself.
    I had to comment on this. Apparently you have some misconceptions about how this works. Once you post a question in a forum like this you open yourself up for comment from anyone who wants to comment. You can feel that the comments were undeserved, you can disagree with the comments but you can't tell anyone they can't make what comments they want to as long as they stick within the guidelines.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
    I have to agree with Scott on this.

Tim,

While yes we are products of our environment, we are not bound by it.

If you don't want to be friends with these people, than don't be. If they tell you to swipe it, you say no. So they stop talking to you? Why do you care? You are leaving anyway.

Doing something that you know is wrong just because others are doing is a BIG mistake. When you are in the army, if your fellow soldiers start raping prisoner, will you rape them as well? Under your logic you would have to, since everyone else is doing it.

You need to start setting an example, and others will follow.

You should look into Alternate Measures program as Scott has suggested, but if you don't qualify for that, get yourself a good lawyer to work out some sort of deal so you won't have a criminal record.

One other thing. You say there should be another class of theft since all you stole was $25. How would YOU feel if people started stealing your stuff?

My wallet gets stolen. All I lost was about $30. Yet, I had to cancel my credit cards, change my debit card/bank account, get a new driver's licensee, a new health card. How would YOU feel if that happened to you? Frankly the person who stole my wallet should go to jail or be severally punished for what he did.

So you only stole 25 bucks of stuff, you are a petty criminal. You aren't good enough to steal anything more. But don't worry, all you will get is probation your first time.

But stealing IS stealing. Is it as simple as that.
    jellyfishattack Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Mar 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Tim,

"going from 15dollars an hour to mcdonalds, not to sound cocky or anything but with the vast knowledge I have of computer engineering and programing, even with a criminal record, i will still get somewhere, I just figure since it was a stupid mistake..."

You are joking aren't you? If you tell a judge that you're going to be in trouble. Don't you know enough to cultivate some fake remourse for your trial? Your attitude makes the sympathy I had for you disappear. Like captain forrest I had my wallet stolen and had to spend hours replacing my license, health card, bank card, etc. as well as making a police report (as requested by one credit card company). I lost less than $3.00. Another time some jerk stole a new rake I forgot to put away. Again, it was $40.00, not $4,99.99, but it was infuriating.

I wouldn't worry about getting into the military, if they'll take anyone regardless of their pysical condition, they'll accept a petty thief. Of course, you'll have trouble getting into the US for the rest of your life.

And, if you make $15.00/hr, you make too much for a free legal aid lawyer. I hope you've been saving some money.
    mystery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
    I was also charged with theft under 5000 and I am over 18 living in ontario, canada

So this might help, ill tell you what happened to me

I had my fingerprints taken
    I went to the first court date
    I talked to duty counsil, I got them to talk to the crown and they made a deal that I do the elizabeth fry program.
    I did the program
    And now I have one more court date
    All charges will be dropped
    And NO criminal record
    In 6 months from the original arrest date I can write a letter asking my fingerprints to be completely removed from the system
    So its like nothing ever happened
    No employer,NO one will ever know this happened, unless I do something really dumb again!

I don't know because your 21 if that may have a difference, because I'm only 19!
    hemi2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
    I think I have to agree with everyone on this one. U stole the cd's u admitted it, it is still qualified as theft, it is time to grow up and take action for what u do.
    myc8sison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfishattack
    You were arrested and have a trial date. Unless the case is dismissed or you are found not guilty you will have a criminal record.

How can you be dismissed??
    Is it the same thing as a car ticket? Where if the officer does not show up to the court date your let off?
    06mac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mystery
    i was also charged with theft under 5000 and i am over 18 living in ontario, canada

so this might help, ill tell you what happened to me

i had my fingerprints taken
    i went to the first court date
    i talked to duty counsil, i got them to talk to the crown and they made a deal that i do the elizabeth fry program.
    i did the program
    and now i have one more court date
    all charges will be dropped
    and NO criminal record
    in 6 months from the original arrest date i can write a letter asking my fingerprints to be completly removed from the system
    so its like nothing ever happend
    no employer,NO one will ever kno this happened, unless i do something really dumb again!

i dont kno because ur 21 if that may have a difference, because im only 19!

Hey mystery, could we possibly exchange emails.. or something because I'm in a similar situation, and I'm 19 in toronto.. I feel so terrible and scared, and it would be nice to talk to someone.. thanks..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 - under 18 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a 17 year old high school student living in Ontario Canada. Recently, I have found an unattended purse in the hallway and I took it and stole $5 and than threw the purse somewhere randomly in my school. My principle caught me on camera and I was suspended for 10 days, also because I...

Fraud under 5000$ [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not even sure if this is what I think it is. Basically I'll just describe the situation. I walked into my bank yesterday with a wish to deposit my paycheck. I walk to the ABM machine and see a question on it *DO YOU NEED MORE TIME ?* I clicked yes, it prompted me to a menu of a...

Theft under $5000.. : ( [ 20 Answers ]

Hey, I just got caught stealing from the Bay (HBC). I was first put under arrest.. brought into the back of the store and they took all of my information etc. etc. They checked my criminal record and everything, and since I don't have one they did not charge me but I'm not allowed going into...

Theft Under 5000 [ 19 Answers ]

I am 21 yo and living in Ontario Canada. I have recently been arrested for theft. Here's what I did. I used to work at a pay day advance place, where they load up cards for the amount of money they are lending to you. I took a card for myself and loaded it from home($2000). Then...

Theft under 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Please help about 2 months ago me and two friends stole 2 tires from a car dealer we see now how stupid it was the cops keep phoning me wanting me to come in and talk to them I already went once and they said I was being investigated for theft under 5000. I'm 17 my friends are 17 and ones 18. Do...

View more questions Search