Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 13, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Living Situation
    I'll try and make this the shortest version of the story I can

Me and a few of my friends all went in on an apartment together and 4 days before the "move in date" the ALL bailed out on me (some friends huh?) So then all my stuff was at my Boyfriends Mothers House waiting to be moved to my new apartment but since I had no where to go his Mom offered me the guest room and I have been staying there the past 2 months or so. And everything was totally peachy

Well now I am S.O.L (Sh*t Out of Luck) his mom does not want me staying there so now I have to move out by the 22nd of THIS MONTH!! My dilema isn't finding a place or making more money (although making more would be a bonus) My question is regarding the room mates that I have to decide between

Stacey and Cory are a couple I've known them both quite sometime, Cory for almost 6 years now, the original plan was for BOTH of them to move in and share a room and split the cost 50/50 but in the past few months they have decided they don't want to move that fast so now I have a dilema... On one hand I have Cory on the other I have Stacey

Cory: He's 24 years old hard working some what steady job that pays good money but he tends to Drink A lot too much and I don't like the people he hangs out with although I have known him for 6 years and we have never gotten in any argument that didn't end in 5 minutes. He lives with his crazy mean phsycho Dad but lives rent free

Stacey: She's 19 years old just got a job that pays very little she is very friendly sweet fun and outgoing she's very much like me and doesn't have very many friends and in the time we have known each other we have bonded and we have never had a problem in the 7 or 8 months I've known her. Her mom and Dad are getting a divorce and her only other option is to live with an alcoholic abusive mother

So now who do I choose? Cory; who will pay his rent and bills ON TIME every month, but drinks ALL THE TIME and is not the cleanest guy in the world?? Or Stacey; who will be struggling for money and not have much to spare but has no where else to go??

HELP!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Depending upon the ones that make the most money is a good bet, but also the ones who can commit and get altogether to sign a lease and make sure they, and you, all sign the lease and split the rent evenly. Split the security deposit evenly as well, and don't do anything UNTIL YOU GET THE MONEY IN YOUR HOT LITTLE HANDS.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Are Cory and Stacey dating? **sorry reread - got it**

Which ever one you choose the other will be over a significant amount of time. I don't think it would be too much to ask whichever one you don't pick to help out if they are "practically" living there.

Jun 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Are Cory and Stacey dating?

Yes as I said earlier they are a couple which makes it 100x worse for me!:confused:
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 08:40 AM
    I don't think you should move in with either one of them. I understand you need a roommate but you are better off getting a smaller apartment (studio?) or if you can't afford that, look for rooms for rent. The problem with your two stated choices is that both are likely to leave you holding the bag. The drunk can very easily loose his job, or could bring home some unsavory person who could rape or rob you. They could damage the apartment, and you could be held liable for all of the damages. The other person apparently cannot afford the apartment, so unless her parents will cosign and will agree clearly that they will immediately step up and pay the difference if she cannot make her rent and utility payments, I'd say forget it. Be aware that the landlord can hold you responsible for the entire debt for rent, damages, security deposit, utilities, etc. even if the other person is also on the lease.

You have to live somewhere so I have a few ideas...
    - consider whether you can rent a cheaper place by yourself. Instead of a one or two bedroom, consider a studio.
    - Consider renting a room either from a family friend, a relative you get along with well, or even a stranger. Rent is cheap, you can use the kitchen and bathroom, and again - it's just for the short term. Make a plan while you are there to buy a place in a year (not rent... buy... monthly payments are about the same). Talk to some financial experts - get some good advise. You can do it.
    - Consider posting or answering an ad from another woman to share an apartment. It's not a bad thing to share an apartment with someone you do not socialize with otherwise. It is a lot easier to draw boundaries and set up expectations than it can be with a friend. You may well become friends in the process.
    - Become a caretaker at an apartment building, or become a house-sitter. You can get free or reduced rent for little work. Caretakers sometimes have to do repairs, but often it's just picking the junk mail up from the mail area, sweeping or vacuuming the halls, sweeping the laundry room, and showing empty apartments. Not a big deal. You can typically have a regular job, too. Then, you can save what you otherwise would be paying for rent toward buying a condo in a year or two.

Good luck. Please don't move in with either of your friends though - you already have identified the red flag issues, so heed them.

Jun 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Well, I decided not to move out at all and that I would figure out a way to make my parents let me move back in. It wasn't what I wanted but it was better than my other options.

My Boyfriend is the greatest guy, let me just say before hand... He surprised me when he picked me up from work yesterday, he took me to an apartment complex and asked if I liked the model we were viewing and I said I liked it a lot and I wish I had the money so we could move in and he said that's good because "this is it" and I was like huh?? He had put the security deposit, holding fee and everything down already and we are moving in the 22nd... DO NOT STOP READING YET!. So iwas like "Really?!?!?!?" I was soooooo happy and then I said it, I said the magic words "How were able to get this babe?" He had the biggest smile on his face and said "Cory went in on it with me!"

Floored absolutely floored I couldn't believe it. So I guess my decsion was made for me...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you both. Don't let anyone else move in and you two should be fine.

Jun 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you both. Don't let anyone else move in and you two should be fine.

No you've got it all wrong... Cory is our roommate now!! That's why my boyfriend said "Cory went in on it with me."
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Cory, the one who drinks too much and hangs out with people you do not care for? That ought to be fun. Good luck to you.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
    If you stay with your parents, is your sister and step brother still there?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Situation. [ 4 Answers ]

I have spent the last year with a girl I really love. Out of nowhere she says she doesn't want to be together because I am going to college and she thinks it will be easier to end it now than later. The thing is college is just an hour down the road and we could make it work.. So later on I go see...

Serious situation [ 7 Answers ]

I don't like to admitt but I'm a little bit on the smaller side, is there anything out there that can help me?

What to do about my situation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 96 T/C Van with 137,000 miles and a V6 me and my wife and kids went to Ohio over the weekend and on the way back it just stopped running on the interstate.before I Had a upstream o2 sensor replaced by the crysler dealership and they said they ran a diag.test on it said everything is fine...

My situation [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Before marriage I was hving a affair with my uncle's daughter... but we couldn't make it up.. to marriage... and we departed in different way.. after 4 years I got married and she too got marreid... but now she is getting interest on me and asking me to take a trip with her to a hilly resort...

My Situation... [ 18 Answers ]

I had been dating this girl for about 15 months. We seem to have been perfect for each other. We almost never got into arguments and when we did, it was over within an hour. Everything was just going perfectly, we considered marriage in the future (after college in like two years) and both had...

View more questions Search