Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaspreet2142 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Ethernet is not working
    hello every one I am new to this site.:cool:

I am running windows xp sp2.
    my inbuilt ethernet card is Realtek RTL8139/810x
    when I connect ethernet wire to modem and cpu, both are unable to read it.
    so, I have to use usb cable to connect to network.
    I have replaced modem twice
    & I also checked ethernet wire
    & I had also checked device manager, it says device is working properly
    & I also updated driver
    but problem persist
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
    1st question: Do you have a link light at both ends?

Nov 28, 2007, 07:57 AM
    No
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Then before you go any further, try a known good cable.

You could have a cross-over cable and neither machine supports an auto-midx port and that cable could possibly work somewhwere else that does support an auto-MIDX port.

Look at at TELEPPHONE cable by holding the ends in the same orientation. contacts down and hold by the cable.

I'm saying look at a telephone cable, because the colors are easy to see. Pin 2 goes to pin 5, pin 3 goes to pin 4. Pins 1 and 6 are unused. There may be 6 gold contacts (6P6C) or there may be 4, (6P,4C) so just pay attention to the wires. Telephone cables are cross-over cables. They typically have places for 6 contacts. In rare instances I've seen only 2 (6P,2C).

Heck, you can just look at the center two pins which will be green and red. In one connector green will be on the left and in the other connector green will be on the right.

Check your Ethernet cables (straight-thru) the same way. In this case pin 1 connects to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc. It will be much harder because all of the conductors will have a lot of white. Only pins 1,2,3 and 6 are required for 10/100 Ethernet to work.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:51 AM
    This link should shows difference between (straight) and (crossover) cable

Ethernet Cable: Color Coding Standard

Your cable should be -- T-568B Straight-Through Ethernet Cable -- Looking at the colors on wires

Hope this helps --- Please rate my answer
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 28, 2007, 10:07 AM
    I've used the T-568A coding scheme on installations as well as the T-568B. The trick is to make sure that both ends of the RJ45 connector as identical on a straight through.

Did the modem (I'm assuming cable modem and not DSL) come with an ethernet cable as part of the install? If you are using that cable, chances are that it's OK.

If you changed out the modem twice, and the cable, chances are that the ethernet port on your motherboard may be out. The device manager may be reporting a working device, however the physical pins may be the problem on the port.

See if the pins on the board are still straight and not being obstructed.

Nov 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Thany you guys I will try it
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Did you mean you are unable to connect your modem with you cpu?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethernet controller [ 4 Answers ]

Hii... I can't connect to the internet and because it says that I have no ethernet port I downloaded the driver and re-installed and it says "an error occurred during the instalaion of the device the style of the INF is different than what was requested" I'm not sure what excatly that's...

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

Connecting two PC via ethernet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a game freek. I want to connect my two pcs for playing multiplayer games via ethernet. Please help.

RS-485 Vs Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

We have Programmable logic controllers that have two connections One is an Ethernet port RJ-45 The other is an RS-485 port RJ-11 I use an NIC for one and an RS-232 /RS-485 converter for the other What is the difference? Does the Ethernet use TC/IP? Do both use three wires? Is the data...

View more questions Search