Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abioho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
    RS 232 vrs Ethernet
    What is the difference between RS 232 and Ethernet cable? What will happen if one is replaced by another??
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
    RS232 (serial) is NOT interchangeable with RJ45 (ethernet)

RS232 tends to be used for comms, such as hyperterminal, but has mostly been superseded by RJ45 and the TCP/IP protocol.
    More information can be found here:
    RS-232 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    AND
    8P8C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Curlyben gave you the 100% correct answer. Instead of the Geeklish version, the plain English version is that RS-232 serial communications are SLOW and the Ethernet connections over RJ-45 cables are hundreds of times faster. I would choose fast whenever possible.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Thanks for that chuckhole, must remember to use English in future ;)
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Curlyben... See PM... :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
    RS232 and Ethernet can both use CAT-4, CAT-5 or CAT- 6 cable. RS 232 probably can get away with CAT-3. The difference is in how well and uniform the twists are made in the cable.
    RS232 usually doesn't care about the twists. RS-422 and RS48 will. Ethernet speed is dependent on cable and connections. Thus, CAT-4 can't be used on gigabit Ethernet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethernet Hub -- How do they work? [ 5 Answers ]

According to the reading I have done, an Ethernet hub is basically a signal splitter. It takes a signal coming in on any port and broadcasts it to all the other hubs. That is why computers hooked up to a hub have to be able to handle collisions. I don't have multiple computers; I have 2 modems, 1...

Ethernet controller [ 4 Answers ]

Hii... I can't connect to the internet and because it says that I have no ethernet port I downloaded the driver and re-installed and it says "an error occurred during the instalaion of the device the style of the INF is different than what was requested" I'm not sure what excatly that's...

Ethernet is not working [ 7 Answers ]

hello every one I am new to this site.:cool: I am running windows xp sp2. my inbuilt ethernet card is Realtek RTL8139/810x when I connect ethernet wire to modem and cpu, both are unable to read it. so, I have to use usb cable to connect to network. I have replaced modem twice & I also...

What is Ethernet/LAN? What do I use? [ 4 Answers ]

I just ordered upgrade from dialup to broadband with AOL. They say I need a LAN connection. As I understand it this is same as ethernet, yes? Any way I don't have either on my PC (its old). Would a USB/ethernet adapter work or should I use a PCI ethernet card. I really don't know what all this...

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

View more questions Search