Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blacksmithgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2017, 09:01 AM
    Copper and its germicidal properties when electroplated
    Hello, I'm a Farrier by trade (which is a blacksmith that shoes horses) and there is a divide between the guys that use steel nails and the ones who use copper nails when tacking on a horseshoe to a hoof. I agree that copper has germicidal properties but I was recently told that my copper nails were ineffective in being germicidal do to the fact that they are electroplated. Does electroplating copper inhibit the germicidal effects of copper?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2017, 12:37 PM
    No, Copper is Copper whether pure or used as plating. Steel nails are sometimes Zinc flash plated and then Copper. I would imagine most copper nails are some alloy, pure Cu is pretty soft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 24 karat gold electroplated pendant lightly antiqued and decorated with enam [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 24 karat gold electroplated pendant that is decorated with enamel and austrian crystals from the metropolitan museum of art swan basket miniature egg from the workshop of Peter Carl Faberge. Is it worth anything significant?

Do germicidal lights work [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if germicidal lights installed on furnace really work. Are they safe and is it worth the money? Thanks

About gold-electroplated jewelry [ 1 Answers ]

I just have read and re-read the FTC rules and searched all over the internet, but didn't find anything that would 100% clarify my doubts. So I really hope to get your input! My question is: would it comply with FTC rules to use term "18K gold g.e.p. (or 18K gold GEP, for that matter)" in item...

What are the medecinal properties of copper pod plant [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm abrar intrested in hebal medicines with special reference to various medicinal plants available in India.Im on the look out for the Pharmacokinetics based on scientific reseaeches carried out across the world so that some of my formulation in the early stage could be monitoredwith the...

View more questions Search