Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenzie123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Skip a mortgage payment
    I have never been in the situation I am right now. I do not know how to approach my mortgage company to see about skipping a payment or making interest only payments. How should such a conversation be done
    jaynen76 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Do not under any circumstances "skip" a mortgage payment if you have absolutely any way around it. Borrow money from a friend if you have to, but do not "skip," that payment. That is the number one worst thing you can do to your credit other than BK and it might even be worst than that. If you have equity, refinance AFTER you borrow money from your friend to pay that mortgage payment; you can pay your friend back out of that. THEN, you can ask your mortgage guy to pick a loan program that has a interest-only option, so you can make those payments until you get whatever situation you're going through taken care of. Hope that helps; please don't miss that mortgage payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 06:18 PM
    You may just want to talk to them, esp if you have been good with all your payments, normally they have procdures for interest only payment
    ( but if on a new mortgage, most is interest anyway)

And some lenders actually do have a program to allow you to miss one payment ( once) but others will not.

If you just can't pay , it is better to call and talk to them, then not doing anything, but if you can pay somehow, pay
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
    The more honest you are with ANY creditor, the more leeway they are apt to give you. I know, no matter how bad my financial situation was, my mortgage payments always came first.

But approach your lender, explain the circumstance and ask what your options are.
    starwarsgal Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Mar 28, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Ooh no!
    Do not skip a mortgage payment, it reflects on your credit report and harms your mortgage rating!
    This will hurt you when you decide to refinance, your rate will be higher for that LATE payment. I have been in the business for years, I would tell you to please do anything you can to maintain a good payment history with your mortgage company.
    I hope this helps.
    If you are short on money maybe you can use equity left on the house to take out a HELOC and pay some debt off?
    cchristiebill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Many mortgages here in Canada allow you to "skip" a mortgage payment once per year, as part of the mortgage contract. If this is done and this is the mortgage you have there are no penalities to your credit, but you would have to contact the bank to do so. It is not recommended to do this annually, but it is a good option in unexpected events occur. Talk to your bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Mortgage company refuses payment [ 8 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I live in NJ. I took out a home equity of about 1/5 of my house value. Unforturnately I went with what I now believe was a predetory loan company. They convinced us to go with them and promised a low rate. I even got it in writing. Than right before we were to close they...

Mortgage Payment After Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

How do I canculate how much tax refund I will get from the IRS. I am planning to buy a townhome for $700K in NJ. Property taxes are $7600 annually. Mortgage Loan amount borrowed will be $670,000. Also is there a way to get tax refund on a quarterly or monthly basis or would I need to wait till...

Mortgage Payment [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is the borrower and I am the co-borrower on our mortgage. My husband died 9/11/06. I am now 3 months behind on payment (had to pay for funeral). I no longer qualify for my husband's SS money, because my SS is higher. I can pay the mortgage myself if the bank would just put the 3 payments...

Using DVD-RAM recorder to skip TV commercials [ 4 Answers ]

Several ads seem to say that if your DVD recorder will record on DVD-RAM that you can record and watch TV at the same time and fast forward past the commercials. Am I reading these ads correctly? The Pansonic DMR-ES10S at about $199 will record on DVD-RAM. There are DVD recorders that also have 60...

View more questions Search