Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annatorres54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2015, 04:34 PM
    If I want to live with my mom and my dad says no what is the age that I can leave 16?
    Im 15 and turning 16. Ive been wanting to live with my mom for 2-3 years now. My dad always says no and says has things against her, They have never been married but my dads had me since was 8 months. I want to know if its possible for me to run away and live with my mom. Im not wanting to move out because I don't like the rules or anything like that. Im just tired of getting put down and everything my dad buys me he will use it against me and tells me he won't buy me anything that I can do it myself. I don't like my step mom she doesn't clean her lifestyle is just gross. So my brother and I are stuck cleaning. So is it okay for me to live with my mom ? When I turn 16 can I move out
    relationshipgir Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2015, 05:56 PM
    I would say running away will not be the best decision because that might put you in a worse situation, also choosing to live on your own might not be the best decision either because your not at an age yet to be independent there are bills responsibilities, a lot of headaches. But I would say try to connect to your mother and ask her to ask your father that you would like to live with her, since your dad is not listening but I would try to talk to your father again, even try to write it down, about it and tell him what you really want. Also try to ask that you would like to visit her, mabye try to ask you would like visiting as an option every so often and see how that works.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 06:55 PM
    How much contact have you had with your mom over the years? What kind of relationship do you have with her? If you and your brother have had little to none, then running away is a lousy idea, and is a lousy idea anyway.

My suggestions depend on your answers to my questions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 08:11 PM
    No, it is illegal to run away to live with your mom. There should be a legal court paper giving your dad custody. To be honest, for a dad to have custody, there must have been serious issues with your mom, or her life style at the time of your birth. Also you are forgetting all the years of care that your dad has done. Of course he will threaten not to buy you things when you are not following the rules, Why should he reward an ungrateful child?

I also agree, while your mom may have changed from what issues she had in her life, at this point, what contact do you have? How often do you visit and live with her?
    Does your mom help with Child support payments to your dad? If not why?

Running away can get your mom in legal troubles and even get you in legal trouble.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 09:09 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck.

If you run away then you can kiss any chance of your mom having legal rights to you, away.

You're a child, and as a child you do not have the right to make the decisions on who you live with. Your dad was awarded custody for a reason.

You sound like a typical teen, don't like the fact that you don't get whatever you want, that you have to help clean the home you live in. Sounds to me like your dad is a great dad, he's grooming you for the real world, so you'll know that everything isn't just handed to you, you have to earn it, and if there's a mess, you have to clean it. Your life is not at all hard.

Having said that, what is your moms life like? Have you visited her? Bet you'll have to clean at her home too, and earn the things you want to have.

Bottom line, if you want to go live with your mom it will have to be done legally. Your mom will have to petition for custody in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2015, 07:21 AM
    I've moved this from the Teens forum since it is a legal issue. And any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

In most areas a child cannot choose where to live until they are 18. So the likely scenario here is that your mom needs to go to court to get primary custody for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dad has custody in a different state and I want to live with my mom can I leave? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi my names breeana and I have a problem and need held I'm 14 and my birthday is in 2 mnths ill be 15 well I have been living with my dad for about 7 years and about 5 of those years my dad took me away from my mom to were I had no contact with her what so ever he even took me out of state and...

I'm 17 and want to live with my dad instead of my mom, can I just leave my moms? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't like being with my mom at all. I want to live with my dad. I'm going to be 17 in 4 days. Can't I just leave and come live with my dad? It is way more stable then it is at my moms house.

I'm 14 and I want to live with my mom and not my dad what do I do I live in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how old I have to be to choose what parent I want to live with in the state of Ohio

Can I choose if I want to live with mom or dad at the age of 16 [ 17 Answers ]

I am 16 and I use to live with my mom put I moved in with my dad for not long at all. Well some how he got custody of me he said it was so I could start school but he and his lawyer tricked me into but my name on some paper. So know he is saying her has custody of me but my mom never went to court...

View more questions Search