Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swenggsri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 10:40 AM
    1099-MISC income requires schedule C-EZ
    Hello,
    I was on F1 status through 2005. I worked till April as an independent contractor at my company and have an 1099-MISC for that period. Later, I was employed full time and have the corresponding W-2 form.

I used an automated tax preparation software (Cintax) provided by my university to generate the 1040-NR filing. The 1040-NR reports the 1099-MISC income in line 21 (Other income) as opposed to line 13 (Business income). Is that OK or am I required to use line 13 and attach Schedule C-EZ? Please let me know.

I am not claiming any deductions such as business expenses etc.

Thanks in advance.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Yes, it should go on line 13 and you should attach Schedule C. But as a practical matter since you are not claiming any deductions or business expenses, it does not really matter. As long as you report it and include in gross income, it should be OK. The tax is still the same either it's on line 13 or on line 21.

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Vaya is technically correct, but the IRS expects to see that Schedule C when the Form 1099-MISC income exceeds $600, so file the Schedule C.
    swenggsri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Thanks for the information. I submitted schedule C-EZ along with the rest of the forms.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Glad to help!
    RENBUCKER Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vaya
    Yes, it should go on line 13 and you should attach Schedule C. But as a practical matter since you are not claiming any deductions or business expenses, it does not really matter. As long as you report it and include in gross income, it should be ok. The tax is still the same either it's on line 13 or on line 21.

Vaya
    VAYA is wrong! The tax is not still the same. If you put the income on line 13 you are subject to SE Tax. You are not subject to SE tax on line 21. You must put income on Schedule C if your primaary purpose is to earn a profit and your activity is regular and not sporadic or hobby.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2007, 12:13 AM
    RENBUCKER:

International students on F-1 visas are NOT subject to SE tax, no matter how much is on the Form 1099-MISC.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Feb 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Actually, international students should not be getting 1099s because they are not entitled to work as independent contractors! Hence the question of self-employment tax for an F1 visa holder should be a moot point...
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Taxsearcher:

Agreed. But the fact remains that many F-1 visa holders get handed a Form 1099 instead of a W-2 when they do OPT or CPTs. It's not right, but the student is hardly in a position to challenge the employer on his payroll policies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will...

1099-MISC income and IRA elgibility [ 3 Answers ]

This year for the first time, I received all of my income from pension (30K), 1099-MISC (subcontractor) (60K) and capital gains from the sale of a house (100K+) Does this mean that I can not get either a traditional IRA or a ROTH IRA because I have no "earned income"? Is there any other tax...

Do I need to file schedule c for my 1099-misc? [ 1 Answers ]

The amount on 1099-misc is 600$ and my expences for it on schedule C are 425.59. Do I only write 174$ on line 13 of 1040NR or am I better of doing deductions for this in my Itemised deductions-schedule A and writing full amount of 600 as business profit?

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search