Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harkplumb Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2020, 08:15 PM
    Account theft, How could this happen?
    I received an email this morning from my bank notifying me of suspicious activity on my debit card and they gave me the last four digits of the debit card.

I recognized the debit card in question as one that I keep in my home safe because I never use it. I also keep with this card the accompanying letter from the bank announcing my bank assigned pin number for this debit card.

After retrieving this from my safe I called the customer service 800 # on the back of the card and told them of the notice I received via email about suspicious activity against the card. They looked up my account and said "Yes, during the course of two hours there had been one attempt to use my debit card account at an ATM machine which was denied and
    four successful additional charges at food and small retail stores where they made small purchases and then requested additional cash back during the purchase. All purchases except for the ATM transaction were successful.

The customer service rep asked me if I had any idea how they could have gotten my debit card and PIN number. I told the rep this debit card has spent its entire short history in my home safe, that only I have access to, and that this card has never ever been used in any way. The rep said "yes, I can see that on my screen that it has never been used prior to today". So I told the rep that there is no way anyone could have gotten that information due to negligence on my part. The rep then told me that all of these were face-to-face transactions meaning that the thief had to have both the debit card and the pin number in order to make these transactions work. My question to her was "how can this be possible with a card and bank assigned pin number sitting in my safe during the entire span of its existence? She said she did not know.

I am one who is very aware of identity theft thus very careful with protecting my personal and banking ID and can't for the life of me understand how anyone could have gotten their hands on a copy of my card and the knowledge of my PIN # with both of these items sitting safely and unused in my home safe.

When this account was opened I only received one debit card which is all I need. So how in the world could there be a second card floating around out there for someone to use. The only thing I can think of is this:
    The only entity that could produce a second card who would also know my bank created PIN # would be the bank itself. Therefore it's my suspicion that this theft is an inside job by one of the bank employees.
    I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2020, 09:25 AM
    I agree with you. The bank would have both the card number and the PIN number on file, plus a bank employee would know how to create a card for his own use. And I'm betting you're not the only bank customer this is happening to.

What to do? I'd cancel the card. You don't use it anyway. As for reporting this to a higher authority, call your lawyer or hopefully someone here will give you a path to follow. I hope you can track down the culprit!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2020, 05:52 PM
    It's called cloning,

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/st...4773999&page=1

Could be your bank was hacked or any number of criminal stuff.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2020, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Thanks for the link - fascinating. I never knew any of that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2020, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    It's called cloning,

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/st...4773999&page=1

Could be your bank was hacked or any number of criminal stuff.
    Yes, terrific information!! Thanks, tal!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under $5,000 - First Offence, What Will Happen? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been caught stealing roughly $214 worth of stuff from Sephora. I live in Toronto, Ontario. Spoked to the police, they said most likely ill get a "slap on the wrist" when I go to court. Also they said I will have to go down to the police station and get fingerprinted and my photo taken. It...

Theft Under $5,000 - First Offence, What Will Happen? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been caught stealing roughly $250 worth of stuff from Sephora. I live in Toronto, Ontario. Spoked to the police, they said most likely ill get a "slap on the wrist" when I go to court. Also they said I will have to go down to the police station and get fingerprinted and my photo taken. It...

Theft under five thousand, what will happen? [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my two other friends just got caught steeling from a yellers in calgary alberta which is in Canada.we were wondering what will the punishment will be. Will we get charged with theft or will be half to do service hours or pay a fine. We are 17 years of age. We are wondering if this will...

Employed theft, What will happen? ($600) [ 7 Answers ]

I was working at a Target store of which I sold 600 dollars worth of items for $0 a piece. I was caught after 3 months of doing so and arrested. I spent the night in jail and went to court the next morning, the judge told me that I would have to come back in two months but did not say anything...

View more questions Search