Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstinytots Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 02:35 AM
    Being sued
    How many credit card companies can get a judgement on you at one time?

Don't they have to wait for payment until the one's in front of them get paid, say for instances when one of them have been awarded a judgement for 4,ooo, don't the others ones for larger amonuts have to wait until I pay this one first?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 12, 2007, 02:46 AM
    I don't think so. I am in the uk, and if you have 20 credit cards, and don't pay them, they can all take you to court for payment if they want to. It's the amount of money each one can get that varies though, they can only make you pay what you can afford each month, so if you have 10 debts and enough money to pay £5 a month off each they will take that, but if you have just one they will take the £50 a month.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 12, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Think about it this way, For example you owe 14 debts, none of them paid, one is USBank in Oskosh, WI, one is Central Bank is Kissimeme, FL, one is CityBank in Dover, DE, etc, etc. How, where, when would all these debtors get together to discuss who's going to sue first and imagine all of them having to wait for their money until the first judgement was settled. Not very fair is it ? And not feasible. Sure, they can sue and be awarded a judgement anytime or if just by conincidence, all in the same week.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jul 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
    There are actually two different aspects to your question.

First, there is no limit as to how many different creditors can sue you at once and consequently there is no limit as to how many judgments can be entered against you at once.

However, in many jurisdictions there are either rules or limits that deal with multiple attempts to enforce judgments against a single debtor. For example, in some jurisdictions there are limits as to how much of an individuals wages can be garnished regardless of how many judgment creditors may have filed garnishments. In Ontario, Canada the limit is 20% of a debtor's net wages. If there are multiple garnishments the proceeds are divided up among the various creditors (assuming they are all Small Claims Court judgments).

Additionally, in some jurisdictions a debtor can ask the court for a consolidation order where all debts are dealt with simultaneously by a single repayment order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be sued [ 8 Answers ]

Can I be sued if the other drive I hit doesn't have insurance on their car and the car is 10 or more years older!!

Being sued by cc in nj [ 1 Answers ]

I have just been told by sears that they are going to file a suit to get back 3200 dollars I owe them. I put sears into a debt consolidation program back in June. Im using CDS as my consolidator. I did not know until today that sears did not accept the offer CDS propossed. Now sears wants the full...

Can I get sued... again? [ 7 Answers ]

I rented from a man while in my junior year of college in PA who turned out to be a slum through ReMax. The house was a typical college house that was filthy, and damaged, and placed anywhere outside of a college setting would have been condemned. After some damages (which we repaired) We...

I'm being sued,what will they get? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pa. I am being sued for rear ending someone and will most likely have a judgement put against me. This insurance was in my husbands name. Can his car be taken if we are no longer living together but still legally married.my wages cannot be garnished because they are so low. Can his...

If you're Sued. [ 4 Answers ]

If a credit card company sues you ,what can they get? I mean can they garnish your wages, or cause you to lose your house, or have you thrown in jail. I have heard these rumors.

View more questions Search