Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajo345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Getting accused of stealing
    Ok so I'm a former employee of a gas station here in Indiana. They are saying that I stole 240.00 dollars when I only stole 40.00. Ive worked there for about 3 mnths. They say that I had the money in my hand and walked off where the camera's couldn't see me and never walked back in with the money. Very un true. I did none of that. I don't know what to do because they are accussing me of stealing 240.00 dollars. What I thought was lkind of weird was my manager from my store didn't call me it was another manager from a totally different store? They didn't even fire me? But she said that it PRETTY much looks like I took it. What can I do? They are giving me till this Friday or they are going to the police? If I do get charged for 240.00 what will happen? Please let me know
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 06:53 PM
    OK, you stole 40 and they caught you, but are now claiming it is 240 ? Have you confessed to them to stealing the 40? What do they want you to do pay back the 240? If so, that is the cheapest cost you will ever get for stealing 40 dollars. Since if you go to court and they find you guility, you will have to pay it back, plus fines, plus court costs and most likely probation.

So personally since you did steal, it appears they have evidence, even if you lose your job, paying it back without the police would be about the easest and cheapest thing you could do
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 06:56 PM
    DUDE!! You confessed to stealing $40 bucks right here. What's to say you are telling the truth here?

Theft is theft. Period.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 04:07 AM
    They are suspicious of you to begin with. How they arrived at $240 figure is beyond me. I was once a cashier at a truck stop years ago and I found out that when you turned in your "drawer" for the night and it was counted out by you, it was still counted out by someone else and then they could "manipulate" the computer which recorded all the transactions your register took in. This one manager showed me how if he wanted to he could make my drawer "short" at least by $40 or over as much as $15 by just adjusting some numbers on the screen and there would be no way to tell the difference. Many nights that I was slow and counted out the change correctly to the penny and actually paid great attention to my money handling, I noticed that some how I was always short about $3 when this one manager did the computer thing. When another manager did my computer calculation, I noticed that I was always correct and not over or under. It all boiled down at that station whether the manager liked you if you were over, under, or perfect. Once I was on to their game I quit. Oh, I did notice that one time a manager bought some lottery tickets for himself using $20 from my register. He went over in the corner to the lottery machine and bought some tickets. I had just returned from lunch and saw him take the $20 bill out of my drawer before I got to my cash register. Amazingly enough the $20 was not accounted for from my count and did not show up. He used to do this magic disappearing act all the time.

I totally agree with Chuck on this answer also. If you can somehow afford paying their $240 - pay it. Otherwise you will be in a world of legal mess for who knows how long over $40. Lesson learned - don't ever take any money especially if there is a camera on at a register as they can accuse you of just about any amount they want to. If you somehow can pay them, you won't have a record or the hassle of maybe sitting in jail and be on probation for who knows how long and fines and paying the $240 back to the station anyway in the end (even though you said you didn't take the other $220).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Hello a:

You stole $40 from them, and now they're stealing $200 from you. What's the problem?

You probably let the boss off the hook. HE stole the $200, but it's going to all be on you.

They are giving you this Friday do do what? Pay them back?? Then they'll fire you. Or are they going to go to the police?? Looks like extortion to me, but you gave them the opportunity to extort you... Bummer.

excon
    ajo345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 07:32 PM
    NO charges have been filed against me. The manager ammitted to taking the money
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Aug 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Wow, what made them confess?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajo345
    NO charges have been filed against me. The manager ammitted to taking the money

So what happened over the $40 that you admitted to stealing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stealing [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 21 she was a good kid I have found out she has been stealing money from my sister she is not on drugs and knows she can ask me for money and I never turn her down she has been lying about a lot of things and I don't know what to do I told her to leave my house and she has...

Stealing Wi-Fi [ 32 Answers ]

Hello, The question is If you connect to a stangers unsecured wi-fi (without permission) and use it only for legal perposes (such as the internet) without acessing any of their other resources, is it illegal?

Falsely accused any recourse? [ 11 Answers ]

We have been accused of molesting our grand daughter. As you can imagine , it has upended our lives and we have lost all contact with our grand daughters since this accusation has been leveled. This has been going on for 2 years now and we have never been investigated or approached by the legal...

View more questions Search