Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raghav_s_81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Interest earned on ICICI NRE account - Is it taxable in th US?
    I work in the US (H1-B status). I have an NRE account with ICICI bank. I have some questions regarding this.

a. Is the interest earned on this account taxable in the US? If so, what are the forms that I need to fill out for this?

b. Should I declare this account information to the IRS while filing taxes
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
    A U.S. resident or citizen must report worldwide income.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Yes, you should include the income on your U.S. tax return. If the balance of the account exceeds $10,000 at any time during the year, you should complete Form TD F 90-22.1 and check "yes" at the bottom of Schedule B to Form 1040. There is a $10,000 penalty for failing to file Form TD F 90-22.1.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax
    Yes, you should include the income on your U.S. tax return. If the balance of the account exceeds $10,000 at any time during the year, you should complete Form TD F 90-22.1 and check "yes" at the bottom of Schedule B to Form 1040. There is a $10,000 penalty for failing to file Form TD F 90-22.1.
    It is not clear if a person who has become "Resident for Tax Purpose" is required to File Form TD F 90-22.1.
    The instructions say the every United States Person must file this form if... under Department of Treasury Regulation 31 CFR 103.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 05:17 AM
    You seem to be suggesting that because the law is unclear, there is no need to mention the existence of Form TD F 90-22.1, and that resident alien individuals should risk not filing it. I can't imagine why resident alien individuals would want to risk the $10,000 penalty by not filing this simple form.

Further, it seems quite clear to me that resident alien individuals are required to file Form TD F 90-22.1. Internal Revenue Code Section 7701(a)(30) defines the term "United States person" as "a citizen or resident of the United States . . . " I am not sure what is unclear in this definition. If your argument is that the requirement to file Form TD F 90-22.1 is under a different title of the United States Code (Title 31) than the Internal Revenue Code (Title 26), I think that this is a very weak argument.

Further, the website of the section of the Treasury Department that administers the filing of Form TD F 90-22.1 (FINCEN, or Financial Crimes Enforcement Network) provides the same definition of a United States Person. See Regulatory: BSA Compliance Information .
    IGotIt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
    I got that we should report interest earned on NRE account to IRS. But If I am not bringing that money to US then is it taxable in US ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my foreign salary earned before relocated to US considered as taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

I was internally transferred (within the same company) from Singapore to CA on June 11 2007 holding a L1 visa. I have been working in US since then. I earned salary at Singapore for the period before June 11 2007, which is not covered in my 2007 w2. My husband has been working and staying in...

Is foreign interest taxable? What is the right form for J-1 visa [ 10 Answers ]

I have some interest in my saving acoount in a non-US bank. Do I have to report it as "other income"? Also last year I was on J-1 visa status. My tax man filed regular 1040 for me. My friend told me it might be wrong and I needed 1040-NR. If this is right and I had a wrong form for 2006,...

Will money earned working in Iraq be taxable? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband is about to go to Iraq to work and we have heard several different things as far as pay is concerned. It is about 50/50 in feedback as to whether the money he earns is taxable or tax exempt. He will be working there 4 months, home 10 days, there 4 months, home 10 days, and so on. Can...

NRE / NRO Account - Taxation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Iam currently working in UK from Dec 2006 and my period of stay is uncertain. Iam here on a work permit. In my organisation this was treated as a transfer from my company operating in India to my company operating in UK hence I had been removed from my Indian Payroll and I am currently in my...

Taxable Interest (f1 To H1b In Oct) [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Expert and other friends, Thank you for this website and your contribution. I have question regarding taxable interest. On October 1, 2005, my status was change from F1 to H1B, As per the sticky note, I should be filling the 1040 NR + 8843. My question is about taxable...

View more questions Search