Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megnblake311 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 05:27 PM
    How do I file child abandonment charges on the child's father
    My child's father left me and my son for an old girlfriend 3 years ago. He does not call to check on his son and does not pay child suport. I want to know if I can file child abandonment charges on him!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:33 PM

Why not file for child support or get an existing order for support enforced.

You really would not gain anything by filing for abandonment and most likely do not qualify to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 05:41 PM

Have you filed for child support in court, have you filed for legal custody in court?

If not he has not done anything yet since he has no order for support.

If you have these you take him back to court for contempt
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 7, 2009, 06:49 PM
    I always wonder why people, when they come on a site like this, don't bother browsing around to see if there are similar questions that they can learn from.

Had you done so you would have learned that abandonment is not something you file on your child's father. Except for a very few states where failure to pay child support is considered abandonment, what you should be doing is filing for or enforcing a child support order.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:56 PM

As already mentioned please read around you will learn a lot with out us having to repeat ourselves over and over. Then if you have any more questions then please come back to this thread and ask them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file child abandonment charges ? [ 22 Answers ]

Can I file child abandonment charges as the birth mom ? The child has lived with me since he was 4 months old he is now 7. my boyfriend or his father are the possible fathers.

How long do I have to wait to file child abandonment charges? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of GA. And I have full custody of my 3 year old son. My ex-husband hasn't seen his son in over a month, he hasn't even called to see how he is doing. I'm trying to find out how long I have to wait to file child abandonment charges, and how I would get the right court papers to...

How do I file abandonment on my child's father and when can I? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is three years old going on four. Her father has seen her maybe 40 times in this period the last time he had contact with her was over a year ago and I received one check within this year he used to pay me child support without and order but this has stopped also. I have filed for child...

When to file abandonment charges on a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew,s mother has been in an abusive relationship on and off for about 9 years.about 3 months ago she left with my nephew and her other son,she went to her brother,s house last week sometime she went back to her boyfriend and left ny nephew at her brother's house.this is my brother's son,my...

How to I file for sole custody of a child due to father abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

My child is 1yrs old. His father and I are not married but he was at the birth and legitamized his son and gave him his name. Since the birth of our child, he has not provided any support and he rarely calls. We live in two different states and I have visited him twice for the sole purpose for...

View more questions Search